Easiest and cheapest way to get 5x5 bolt pattern

Nate3531

Supporting Member
Maybe I am just not used to this forums search engine but I couldn't find any threads so I will post a question. Please be nice if I could have found the answer.

I want to run newer Wrangler 5x5 bolt pattern wheels. They are cheap, look good and plentiful. What is the easiest and most reliable way to convert my '88 YJ to the larger bolt pattern? I don't want to use wheel adapters unless you guys can make a believer out of me.

Axle swap from newer JK? swap axle shafts with new bolt pattern?

they sell adapters but make 100% sure the new adapter rings will all ALLOW all 40 studs, outside and inside, (4 wheels)
have stud nuts that can do at least 8 turns on to stud. 10 is better. 1/2"x20tpi (2tpi and 1 inch is 10 truns (math)
just removed 4 from mine, had only 4 turns possible inside acorn nuts. super dangerous on the road. gone,. (gave them away I did)
now have 15x8" new rims 4.5" pattern. no stinking spacers.
it's about money? and easy rims to find used in wrecking yards cheap?.<<< this.?
new rims are $100 each.
I had to put 20 new full 2" stud on my 4 axles to make my steel wheel only 95 jeep fit modern mag wheels. 1" studs are useless now.
unless steel is your deal;.
be safe, wheels flying off at 85mph, in Dallas is never fun. (speed limit here, 1 road)

do not be sad asking for help and zero guilt please.
if you google all you get today is 1/2 lies. (or worse)
please ask, there a are only a few choices, and he new wheels(front) must not hit the caliper or that super tiny gap at the end of tie rod to rim edge
see it?
real jeep wheels
or 4.5 to 5.0 inch adapter rigs.(pattern)
the rims inside hole must fit jeeps. too and not hit the axle faces.
called offset.spec.
i guess you have steel stock wheels now
and not the jeep stock CANYON , option wheels that are crazy expensive used. seen in 1996-2006 year i think. 15x8 the were.
long studs are a must. mine where not, ask for partnumbers at maker, DORMAN, studs I have them and did all the work

I have American Racing 15" bullet holes atm and I love the look, but for the price of 4 new tires I can get 3 sets of pull off Jeep wheels around here with like new 33" tires because most people upgrade to 35s or 37s. I may just bite the bullet and buy tires and maybe sell my like new 31s for something to offset the cost.

I dont want to. does not fly.! here. sorry.:cry:
this is pure physics here, not like typing text variable.
the rims will never fit, 5.0 over 4.5" studs in the real world of pure metal machined physics.(like the test in school,round pegs square holes)
only correct rims or adapters fit . (affordable)
sorry but that is fact.
unless all ;new axles total for $5000 and off new 2007 jeeps. 5.0 studs /axles and spring conversion kits.
ok 1 more,sell yours and buy 5.0" jeeps 2007 up.
did i get them all ways? , I hope so. Just did mine so all this stuff is clear in my memory
the wheels must be for jeeps, offsets. clearances, all.
we have a JK here too, my son has mine , I sold it to him.
look under the JK then the YJ
apples and oranges not the same at all , radically different suspensions.!
leafs yours and COIL springs JK
jk has trailing links due to springs move in 360degree directions unlike leafs. so track rods on JK are mandatory./
buy a JK, and end this.
What I did is buy the correct wheels, for YJ and put in new long studs x 20
my nuts engage 10 + turns, safe as moms arms.

good luck.