Drum Brake Swap

TrevzJeep

My family loves getting me a good Quadratec gift card for the holidays, any brake swap kits on there for an 88 YJ to go from drums to discs? I see ones that say disc swap but they have pictures of drum brakes?

The axles changed for 1991. The 90 and prior used a different bolt pattern on the end of the axle tube and the axle shafts bolted on rather than being retained by c-clips. As such, the older bolt pattern does not have a lot of support. The only option I see for your year on quadratec is $800 from Teraflex.

The kit will work fine, I converted mine years ago, no complaints. It's not going to make you stop harder, it will just make the pedal more consistent and it will make the parking brake actually work as it is supposed to. The only downside to the teraflex kit is they give you some crappy preload spacers that you're supposed to install between the axle shaft retainer plates and the axle seals. This pushes on the seal/bearing to put the proper preload on the wheel bearings, the problem with the rings is they can be hard to confirm they are installed properly. If they are not installed properly, you will have major leaks and will kill the bearings fast.

Also, from your post in the axle thread, I didn't realize your Jeep was an 88 at the time. The super 35 kit won't work for you, you'd need to have a 91+ axle for that. Since you are looking for a D44 eventually, I'd keep on with that idea, and get one from a 2003+ TJ if possible which should come with discs already. Better off than messing around with your current D35 or buying another D35 unless you can find another D35 for cheap. I would not do anything to your current axle, that one is not really worth working on since the market of parts for it is so small. Just drive it until you can get something else.