Driveshaft differences

Jakebrake

Okay, I found someone selling an 8.8 Ford rear that was installed in a YJ. I know I would have to use the slip yoke Eliminator, and he is also saying I will need to use that driveshaft. My question is, my vehicle is an automatic. Hughes is a manual. Would they use the same driveshaft and slip yoke Eliminator?

Okay, I found someone selling an 8.8 Ford rear that was installed in a YJ. I know I would have to use the slip yoke Eliminator, and he is also saying I will need to use that driveshaft. My question is, my vehicle is an automatic. Hughes is a manual. Would they use the same driveshaft and slip yoke Eliminator?
Same slip yoke eliminator.

As far as the rear driveshaft goes, he’s partly correct, it would be best to measure for your rear driveshaft once you’ve made the 8.8 swap. As you want to get the most accurate measurement for YOUR Jeep.

The 8.8’s pinion yoke to axle tube measurement is different compared to the Dana 35. So a different driveshaft is usually required.

Reactions: Chris
Well, the plot has thickened and measurably. I was talking to a friend of mine who runs a heavy truck repair shop. He also has a couple of customers who really beat on their Jeeps. They do rock crawling in such, and he fixes there is when they break them. One of them had a set of custom axles made for their JK. He's old axles are in the scrap pile at his shop. He is 80% certain they are Dana 44s. They came off of the same Jeep. I have been told that I am more than welcomed to them.

I understand I will have to put on different spring perches, and, I may have to get different Wheels since they would be from a JK era vehicle. However, if these things will fit with minor modification, I think I just scored a huge win.

Now, if I could just get someone to donate me a 383 stroker, a bullet-proofed th350, and an atlas 2 transfer case, I'd be all set.

Well, the plot has thickened and measurably. I was talking to a friend of mine who runs a heavy truck repair shop. He also has a couple of customers who really beat on their Jeeps. They do rock crawling in such, and he fixes there is when they break them. One of them had a set of custom axles made for their JK. He's old axles are in the scrap pile at his shop. He is 80% certain they are Dana 44s. They came off of the same Jeep. I have been told that I am more than welcomed to them.

I understand I will have to put on different spring perches, and, I may have to get different Wheels since they would be from a JK era vehicle. However, if these things will fit with minor modification, I think I just scored a huge win.

Now, if I could just get someone to donate me a 383 stroker, a bullet-proofed th350, and an atlas 2 transfer case, I'd be all set.
If they are Dana 44’s, the rear 44 would be a nice upgrade. But the axles housing is a lot wider than your factory Dana 35 and it would no longer match the front axle factory width.

It would require different wheels as the JK has a different bolt pattern. However, Dutchman axle makes factory replacement axles that are chromoly and can be built with any bolt pattern you desire. They are also made in the USA, this would allow you to keep your factory YJ bolt pattern.

The best way to start would be to cut off all the brackets on the axle tubes and grind them smooth. Have someone weld the leaf spring perches on with some shock mounts to follow that matches your desired pinion angle.

The only issue is the front axle; it wont work. You need an axle that has a leaf spring provision machined/cast into the housing. It needs to be SUA as well if you are keeping your springs under the axle; a little hard to find these days honestly. However, Dynatrac is the only aftermarket axle company who still can build an axle for a YJ front that has provisions for a SUA front setup.

Reactions: Jakebrake