Does this sound like a bad ECM?

KingYJ24

Hello all. Very new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 MT. Long story short, I got this for a great deal, it had been sitting for 7 months before I got it. All it needed was a fresh battery and bam , started first try. It needed a bunch of maintenance, I’ve replaced a bunch of stuff because of age. About every sensor, coolant system, starter, alternator, you name it I’ve most likely replaced it.

So on to my issue, after it not running for about 2 weeks while I was refreshing the engine, the first start up was very rough, like idling rough, (it’s open headers just about, put a shorty header on with down pipe), with an instant engine light, of “fuel injector output driver”. After doing research, checking voltage, ohming wires, I looked at the ecm. The ecm had 2 burnt capacitors. So, sent the ecm off to get 3 new capacitors. Got the ecm back, plugged it in, it started and ran fine for about 35 minutes (still rough rough idle), it completely died, randomly. I had lost fuel pump prime, and spark, and the engine light will not illuminate when key is turned. I’ve spent 10 days testing every possible theory to why this happened. Tested fuses, replaced relays, checked fuel pump wires and pump, I get power everywhere power needs to be. (Cleaned and replaced grounds as well). So my simple question is, can the ecm be faulty even with new capacitors? Does this sound like the ecm is at fault ? Any help is much appreciated, I’m at my Wicks end here.

Yes, the ECM can be faulty, even with new capacitors.

It sounds like it could potentially be the ECM, though usually when you have a bad ECM, it will throw codes that point to this. Is it throwing any codes by chance?

Lastly, if you suspect it's the ECM, it might make sense to either buy a replacement (even if it doesn't turn out to be the ECM, it never hurts to have a spare), or send yours out to someone who can test it.

Hi. And no I’ve to do the key on off but I haven’t seen engine light illuminate since this happened, only dash light I get when key on is seatbelt. Do you know who can test ecms ?

Hi. And no I’ve to do the key on off but I haven’t seen engine light illuminate since this happened, only dash light I get when key on is seatbelt. Do you know who can test ecms ?

FS1 does:

Hello all. Very new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 MT. Long story short, I got this for a great deal, it had been sitting for 7 months before I got it. All it needed was a fresh battery and bam , started first try. It needed a bunch of maintenance, I’ve replaced a bunch of stuff because of age. About every sensor, coolant system, starter, alternator, you name it I’ve most likely replaced it.

So on to my issue, after it not running for about 2 weeks while I was refreshing the engine, the first start up was very rough, like idling rough, (it’s open headers just about, put a shorty header on with down pipe), with an instant engine light, of “fuel injector output driver”. After doing research, checking voltage, ohming wires, I looked at the ecm. The ecm had 2 burnt capacitors. So, sent the ecm off to get 3 new capacitors. Got the ecm back, plugged it in, it started and ran fine for about 35 minutes (still rough rough idle), it completely died, randomly. I had lost fuel pump prime, and spark, and the engine light will not illuminate when key is turned. I’ve spent 10 days testing every possible theory to why this happened. Tested fuses, replaced relays, checked fuel pump wires and pump, I get power everywhere power needs to be. (Cleaned and replaced grounds as well). So my simple question is, can the ecm be faulty even with new capacitors? Does this sound like the ecm is at fault ? Any help is much appreciated, I’m at my Wicks end here.
I can't tell you anything about why it ran for a bit and shut off, why it's rough idling, etc., but I can tell you that if you are not getting a CEL when you flip the key to battery mode, then that is a PCM capacitor problem. Sounds like the rest of the issues are maybe from something else, bad sensor maybe, I don't know.

But you definitely need to try another PCM for the no CEL issue. Really the only things that go bad in YJ PCMs are pretty much just the capacitors and the alternator voltage regulator. Other than that they are typically no-problem, maintenance-free units.

I can't tell you anything about why it ran for a bit and shut off, why it's rough idling, etc., but I can tell you that if you are not getting a CEL when you flip the key to battery mode, then that is a PCM capacitor problem. Sounds like the rest of the issues are maybe from something else, bad sensor maybe, I don't know.

But you definitely need to try another PCM for the no CEL issue. Really the only things that go bad in YJ PCMs are pretty much just the capacitors and the alternator voltage regulator. Other than that they are typically no-problem, maintenance-free units.
So I get new capacitors installed, runs fine for a good bit, then dies? The company who replaced them did a great job and they did test ecm, said everything works? Very odd