Dash Indicator Lights work when cranking but do not light up when engaged

runamuk1991

First post and first jeep. I have had my 1991 Jeep Wrangler for a couple of months now. Very quickly after getting it, we had to change out the ignition switch and ignition lock cylinder so the whole steering column had to come out. That all went fine but we just realized that the rod for the bright lights didn't get placed correctly and the bright lights wouldn't go off when the lights were on. I have been working to adjust that. In the process of adjusting it, I now see that my dash indicator lights are not working correctly anymore. They all light up like they should when you crank but if I put the brake on, or turn the lights on, those indicators are not lighting up. The blinkers indicate correctly but the brakes, seat belt and the bright light indicator don't and they used to. Not sure where to start troubleshooting since they all light up correctly when I crank the Jeep. So the bulbs are not out and they are getting power. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

welcome, (no engine told) just 91yj, is this engine fuel injected or the CARB? (the clusters are NOT THE SAME)
first off did all that battery connected you blew out fuses , i bet.fuse 10 under dash left (usa left)
the cluster has diode assembly, that if working here HOT you blow up fuses inside it, no man can reach. 4.2L?

Dash indicator lights?? what is that, not clear, some call blinker (turns) inductors there.
put brake on? means parking brake not foot brake? sure park lamp cluster.
you mean the warning lamps, I get it now.
all external lamps work right and only the cluster warning lamps fail, so it seems.
engine runs, dash blower works. etc?
just cluster problems.

need the wiring diagram 91 or full FSM?> to see all that,?

for sure the job was done wrong, sorry! the book covers all steps to do all that.
read chapter 8w (wring) and pages on ignition key and other steering column work in the FSM,. (it's not simple)
the free 90 FSM my be close enough.

free here, same forum you are on, see>
8w-82, cluster wiring first page. aka, IP panel , instrument panel cluster. etc.
pages with word MCU is cluster.
chapter 19-54 covers all that you did, steering column and switch, always read the FSM first before attack the column.
step 1` remove and isolate the NEG battery terminal lug. (or blow things up you will)