Converting a 2005 4.0 to OBDI

smdellin

So weird question, I picked up an 89 with a 2005 4.0 upgrade. Looks like they were installing a Mega Squirt and GM distributor, but it's half finished, wiring is a mess. I have a complete engine harness and PCM, interior harness and gages for a 95. If I replaced the distributor with a 95, could I get it to run with the 95 components?

I'm not sure the distributor from a 95 will fit in there to be honest. Even if it did, you'd need all the sensors from the 95 which would likely present it's own problems.

So weird question, I picked up an 89 with a 2005 4.0 upgrade. Looks like they were installing a Mega Squirt and GM distributor, but it's half finished, wiring is a mess. I have a complete engine harness and PCM, interior harness and gages for a 95. If I replaced the distributor with a 95, could I get it to run with the 95 components?
first post photo of the engine,
then get all the engine serial numbers and post that, this shows (decodes) to exact engine there and year code of engine
2006 last 4.0L.

so then engine code, is for" 2005 4.0 upgrade".?
the service manual in the first chapter shows all engine codes.
what parts are there on the engine, intake manifold? is 2005,? 2005 injectors and all sensors 2005?
step 1 (this case) is full identified of all engine and EFI parts.

nice project, lots of fun there. to kill time. (my job now is that)
89 to ,2005upgrade and 95 down grade. A real challenge there.
the Cluster will not work and show mph odometer, (it uses data from the PCM) 95 is unique PCM so down grading the cluster too?) you have 95 interior harnesses and dash cluster/gauges, yes.

4wd, ?
yes for m/t 5speed AX5 box.!
got A/C?
got Cruise.?
options what is there or not there matters. (or what you indent to do)
what was 89 engine before ? 2.5L?
the vin code tells what engine was there day 1.

the last engine used fake, distributor ,device (CMP new), that may fits the same hole as the old distributor. THE CMP sets only injector timing.
not sure this fits me.
googling this 1 fact will get you the answer for sure. (your not the first)
what car did the 2005 engine come from? ( wrong alternator for sure , )

here it is 2005 , called the cam synchronizer , dizzy hole.

here they are. just one step of many.

9505.jpg

the 2005 is COP spark engine, (distributor-less )
THE cam sensor still drives the oil pump as seen above

a great quote
Note: Look at a 2000-2006 4.0L Jeep engine. (Mopar started using coil-on-plug/COP in the 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee engines then the XJ and TJ in 2000-up engines.) In the place of a distributor, you will find the OEM oil pump drive and camshaft position sensor assembly. The device goes into position just like your original distributor and drives the oil pump.
buy used or dead, (cheaper) 95 distributor 92 t0 97
see if it fits, it might. looks like it can. to me.
The 95 PCM needs this distrib to work. and timing correctly. (use the index hole (cmp mounting plate) per the FSM to do that)
some one will chime in, for sure. on 2005 to 1995 downgrades.

I’m pretty certain you can run the 95 stuff on it. I don’t believe the distributor hole changed at all when they switched to distributor less ignition and started using camshaft synchronizers instead.

The problem is the block is different/newer. 95 accessories will not bolt up. You could run a TJ water pump, fan clutch, newer TJ alternator, TJ intake manifold and corresponding parts and then a TJ power steering pump. And of course a TJ belt. As long as you don’t have air conditioning it wouldn’t be too terribly painful. However, you would want to use the YJ fuel rail and injectors because TJs have their pressure regulator at the gas tank instead of on the rail like YJs.

The alternator will need to be rewired. The newer TJ alternator is quite different and I’m almost certain the YJ alternator will not work on the newer TJ alternator brackets…..but maybe.

As mentioned in the other thread, the coolant temp sending unit on the YJs for the gauge is the 1-wire sender on the back of the cylinder head. TJ motor will not have that hole or sending unit because the TJ runs off of the sensor on the thermostat housing. YJs have the thermostat housing location as well, but that only goes to the computer on YJs. TJ computer passes that info to the gauge cluster so on TJs they consolidated down to one temperature location on them. For a YJ gauge with a TJ motor you’ll probably want to splice your gauge wiring up to the thermostat housing sensor.

GREAT POST ! on all that.
BUT i can't see what is there now, ALL under the hood and was a car bought not running we presume. (custom EFI failure for sure)mega-no-squirt./
what is there matters first. asking the blind you are.
first things first.

Thank you for looking into my project. I decided to go with a holley terminator x to control things. Me and my daughter installed many on LS swaps, holley says it will work on 4.0. Since we could now tune, we're considering building for some hp or a possible turbo.