CAD slip collar

bigdave1340

Has anyone ever had the slip collar in the CAD break? I put it in 4hi and I immediately noticed it pulling to the right hard. Last time it worked fine. No noise, jerking or anything. Light on dash doesn't come on either. Looked it over, nothing obvious. No hoses loose, switch in transfer case looks ok. Any ideas?

Ok, this sounds like a PO (maybe) put a locker in it and the CAD just isn't working.
Otherwise you wouldn't notice any difference at all with an open diff, just no 4WD.
If you broke something, you would probably have heard a Loud Bang.
I would start by looking for broken vacuum lines, given that the light doesn't come on, the switch for it is on the CAD.
My '91 has a vacuum line with a check valve at the top of the firewall between the engine and battery box that feeds the CAD.
That's where it broke after I did a small body lift, short piece of hose and bingo.

Ok, this sounds like a PO (maybe) put a locker in it and the CAD just isn't working.
Otherwise you wouldn't notice any difference at all with an open diff, just no 4WD.
If you broke something, you would probably have heard a Loud Bang.
I would start by looking for broken vacuum lines, given that the light doesn't come on, the switch for it is on the CAD.
My '91 has a vacuum line with a check valve at the top of the firewall between the engine and battery box that feeds the CAD.
That's where it broke after I did a small body lift, short piece of hose and bingo.
It does have a locker. I checked the vacuum lines. Maybe I missed something...

I can just tell you what I found, and where, on mine.

I'd done a lot of undercarriage work on a buddies lift, including an SYE and didn't have a rear driveline yet.
Figured if I have to move it, 4HI & just move it on the front.
Worked when it came in, but not after it hit the floor, his eagle eye spotted it.
Mine is still open (for now). I have a "D30 Build" thread here if you're interested in what I'm up to....

There are also various ways of eliminating the vacuum stuff as well.
From expensive specific cable controls to using the throttle control & cable for a lawnmower.
Actually considered the latter until I decided to go with a one piece axle and be rid of the CAD altogether.

Im probably not thinking clear here but if you had an open diff and the collar broke It, and you put the TC in 4wd you'd get a spinning front DS and the power going to the broken collar side axle. Kinda like jacking a open diff'ed vehicle up on one side,leaving the other in the ground and and expecting the grounded side to get power. Make sense??

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Im probably not thinking clear here but if you had an open diff and the collar broke It, and you put the TC in 4wd you'd get a spinning front DS and the power going to the broken collar side axle. Kinda like jacking a open diff'ed vehicle up on one side,leaving the other in the ground and and expecting the grounded side to get power. Make sense??
He has a locker.
The CAD just isn't engaging.

Reactions: bigdave1340
I can just tell you what I found, and where, on mine.

I'd done a lot of undercarriage work on a buddies lift, including an SYE and didn't have a rear driveline yet.
Figured if I have to move it, 4HI & just move it on the front.
Worked when it came in, but not after it hit the floor, his eagle eye spotted it.
Mine is still open (for now). I have a "D30 Build" thread here if you're interested in what I'm up to....

There are also various ways of eliminating the vacuum stuff as well.
From expensive specific cable controls to using the throttle control & cable for a lawnmower.
Actually considered the latter until I decided to go with a one piece axle and be rid of the CAD altogether.
I found it. Well, I thought I had. Two vacuum lines melted in two. Spliced back together, no 4wd. Swapped them, still no 4wd. Going to check the vacuum at the cad today.