Broken exhaust manifold stud, weld or drill

pigg

This is my 94 YJ 2.5 with broken exhaust manifold stud stuck in the header.
I was told by a guy that it is difficult to weld a nut without removing the head because of where it is.
The only way is to drill and tap. Is this guy right?
In general, Is it better to use welding method or drill method for extraction?

brokenbolt.jpg

20230817_173222.jpg

For that one id soak it, punch and then drill in the CENTER, with a left hand drill. Often this alone will release it and it will unscrew. If It wont unscrew by this method then Id use an appropriate sized easy out and I bet it will come out.

Reactions: TimberTim
For that one id soak it, punch and then drill in the CENTER, with a left hand drill. Often this alone will release it and it will unscrew. If It wont unscrew by this method then Id use an appropriate sized easy out and I bet it will come out.

Welding a nut to it really isn't an option there. It's broke off well below the surface of the head. You would be welding your nut to the head. Drill/tap is probably your best bet. Might be worth it to pull the head and take it to a machine shop and have it refreshed while they're removing the broken bolt.

On a side note. Inspect/check that engine mount, it looks roached.

I would torch the bolt (carefully) until it turns red.
I have found that rapid tap works very well for penetrating hot bolts, due to it's high smoke point.
just keep dripping rapid tap on the hot bolt until it quits smoking and starts penetrating. you will know its working when the smoke stops and the bubbles start, keep dropping the rapid tap until the bubbling stops.

let it cool back down to room temperature, don't touch it. It is important to let it completely cool down.

After its all the way cool, center punch the broken bolt (this is important)

Next, carefully drill straight down the center with a 1/8" left handed drill bit.
if it doesn't "grab" and pull the busted bolt, try an EZ-out,

...if that doesn't work

re apply heat, re apply rapid tap. let cool again. Move to the next biggest left-handed drill bit and repeat the process.

I used to be a boat mechanic, I have successfully extracted a bunch of busted bolts (and messed up a few too), This is the best method I have found. Go slow, be methodical, it'll come.

I can't overstate how effective rapid tap is for extracting bolts. That tip was given to me by an old mechanic and has proved to be the best lubricant I have ever seen for bolt extraction. ...and I've seen a lot of bolt extractions.
065-020-071-hub-12654.18.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DOWNS and ytradio