Body mount replacement 1995 YJ

Bboroi1993

Hello, new member here!

I have a 1995 YJ that had failed inspection due to bad body mounts. They were the original ones. I started with the back right corner, then to the one on the right close to the back wheel. Both bolts have sheared. So I stopped before I broke the other bolts. I’m told that it would have to be a frame-off restoration. I do not have access to a 2 post hydraulic lift, nor the money to pay someone to replace them. Is cutting holes in the tub the best way to do it then? I’ve never done this before. Thank you.

Did you try penetrating lube several days in a row and let it soak first? Also a good bottle of MAPP gas can be helpful.
There are several youtube videos of the process.
But yes, as a last resort, you can use a hole saw bit and cut holes if needed. Would have to carefully measure to locate the spots.

Reactions: Bboroi1993
Did you try penetrating lube several days in a row and let it soak first? Also a good bottle of MAPP gas can be helpful.
There are several youtube videos of the process.
But yes, as a last resort, you can use a hole saw bit and cut holes if needed. Would have to carefully measure to locate the spots.
They have been soaked, are pretty rusty.. I did not have and MAPP with me at the time.

I recently removed all my body mounts and had one bolt that sheared off.

1706994206701.jpeg

I tried heat, liquid wrench, large vise grips; I jacked up that side of the body to get to better access to the bolt. Nothing worked. I ended up cutting it as short as possible with a Dremel then drilling it out. See post #91 of my build thread for more detail.

I did cut through the body from the top.

I just cut a square but only 3 side bent it back to get to it. Welded in a nut bent price back down spot welded it them siliconed it back up.
This is a solid solution. I like that you just folded it back for the surgery and tacked it back down once finished.

Hello, new member here!

I have a 1995 YJ that had failed inspection due to bad body mounts. They were the original ones. I started with the back right corner, then to the one on the right close to the back wheel. Both bolts have sheared. So I stopped before I broke the other bolts. I’m told that it would have to be a frame-off restoration. I do not have access to a 2 post hydraulic lift, nor the money to pay someone to replace them. Is cutting holes in the tub the best way to do it then? I’ve never done this before. Thank you.