Best brand fuel pumps?

Gilaguy23

YJ Enthusiast
As preventative flame out parts Id like to buy a new pump for my 91 YJ and my 00 Silverado. I recently bought some AC Delco stuff and it was all made in China,kinda throws that brand out. Rankauto lists probably a dozen different brands for either vehicle. Any recommendations for some spares??

The 91-95 EFI YJ has two different models of fuel pumps and it mostly corresponds to if the YJ was built for export or domestic. The domestic one was a smaller pump and the larger one I believe was made by Walbro or something. Anyways, seems like the earlier models are more prone to the large pump, so you may want to drop it and figure out what you have before deciding on a brand and model to buy. That is, if you don't need the YJ to drive while you wait. Or you could pull the tank, take pics of the pump, reinstall, order, then install. Just means dropping the tank twice.

Anyways, MTS makes a bunch of fuel related stuff for YJs and it is good quality stuff. I put their pump/sending unit on my YJ. I also bought a Bosch as a spare. These are for the small model of pump, which my YJ had. I waited until I dropped the tank to order stuff, because I wanted to make sure of what pump I had before ordering.

I believe if you get a full sending unit with a pump, you can install it regardless of year (anywhere in the 91 to 95 range) and regardless of domestic or export.

Anyways, I have this one in my YJ. Haven't used it yet since I'm still not driving but it always had good reviews so I am not concerned.

Thank you macho for the information. That brings me to another question then. The 20 gallon tank debacle. I was under the impression all tank physical size was the same but the filler neck and its length is what makes the difference as to how much you can get in it. I think my YJ is mid year mfg'ed but Id have to look again.

87-90 had two physical tank sizes, a metal 14.5 gallon and a plastic 20 gallon. The metal tank used a circular mount sending unit that I believe secured itself with a lock ring. The 20 gallon plastic tank had a rectangle mount with 8 small bolts. In the 87-90 years, I believe there were two versions, one that was just a tube for the engine mounted mechanical fuel pumps (carb'd 4.2s) and one with a low pressure electric fuel pump for the TBI 2.5.

91-95 all use the same plastic tank, and many of them were limited to 15 gallon capacity with the vent tube. They made the vent tube extend further into the tank which vapor locks earlier to shut the gas station pump off. So even if you are only able to fill 13-14 gallons currently, your 91 should have the plastic tank capable of 20 gallons, you just need to do the vent tube mod to allow it to fill higher.

I think your best bet for a simple install is to buy the MTS Sending unit and bolt it right onto your tank. Maybe compare total length with your existing unit that you remove but I think it would work fine. I ordered from gas tank depot for the best price but you may want to order elsewhere for a better return policy (amazon maybe). I went all MTS (tank, skid plate, sending unit) knowing that all their parts would work together. My old tank also had a warped bowl at the bottom so I kind of wanted to get away from that with a new tank anyways.

Dang, thank you again for the detailed information Macho. Yes, I do have the plastic tank however modified to maybe 14 gallons with the semi caved in skid plate, ;) You have certainly done your homework with Jeeps. I thinking with age Ive forgotten more than I can recall these days and with my 91 which has been stone reliable for a change, If it didnt need to be fixed I dont mess with it.

Sure thing. Lol, sounds like you may be a good candidate for a new tank and skid! Yeah if you want to increase the capacity, it’s quite easy and worth the extra “storage”.

mine has also been extremely reliable. 99% of the problems were self inflicted. Only reason it’s even down a year is due to me wanting to do a million different projects at once. They are great machines if not just utterly abused, and even a lot of the utterly abused ones still are workhorses.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Sure thing. Lol, sounds like you may be a good candidate for a new tank and skid! Yeah if you want to increase the capacity, it’s quite easy and worth the extra “storage”.

mine has also been extremely reliable. 99% of the problems were self inflicted. Only reason it’s even down a year is due to me wanting to do a million different projects at once. They are great machines if not just utterly abused, and even a lot of the utterly abused ones still are workhorses.
And working out all the bugs that come with doing with that.
We're in the same boat.

Reactions: machoheadgames
And working out all the bugs that come with doing with that.
We're in the same boat.
I think a lot of us are! I'm going to try and get mine ready to crank it up and idle it some this weekend hopefully. Then clean up all the inside and finish all the loose ends under the hood so it can roll.

I was able to verify which tank I have off the pics on the GTD website. Odd that the 20 gallon has the corners cut off it so to say compared to the 15 which is rectangular. Ive never let my tank get below 1/2 if I can help it so maybe 10 or 12 gallons has been all Ive added when filling up. Gotta say trying to "top it off" generally makes for a quart on the ground. Even letting the pump run full throttle on auto blows gas out once filled to the point it clicks off.