Any tips / tricks to install shift rod linkage for NP231? Also what type of screws for the shift boot area?

skyzero

Recently had the transmission out to do some work and am now putting together. I'm stuck on getting the shift rod/linkage hooked back up. The transmission and skid plate are already installed and I'm having a helluva time getting that rod through the rubber bushing. I've done it before but can't seem to swing it for whatever reason. Really hoping the solution isn't to drop the transmission/skid plate again, lol. Anyone have any tips I could try? For reference, I'm talking about this part:
1691440181106.png

Also, as far as the shift boots are concerned, they were only a few screws from the previous owner and wondering what type they are and if anyone knows if they are readily available at the local auto parts store? Hoping to avoid ordering on ebay and waiting forever to get them shipped.

They look like these (but I only have 3 of them :()
1691439886661.png

For anyone searching for help to re-install the np231 linkage. I used a set of 10" channel lock pliers (i think 12" might've been too big for the space i had to work with), similar to these:
1691460679089.png

As for the shift boot, i just got a bunch of sheet metal screws of similar size from the local auto shop and washers to match.