Another Good Reason to Own a YJ

Coyote Ugly

I just realized the other day that in about 3 years (I have a 95 Wrangler) I can submit an application to the local DOL here in Washington State to have my Jeep YJ designated a "Collectors Vehicle". One time fee and no more annual registration! Of course there are requirements:
  • Must have a current registration. -CHECK
  • Must be more than 30 years old. -ANOTHER 3 YEARS FOR ME
  • Be capable of operating on the highway. -CHECK
  • Be owned and operated as collector vehicles. -OKAY...
  • Maybe driven:
    • To and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings. -ALL THE TIME
    • For testing purposes. -SURE
    • For the pleasure of others without compensation. -DEFINITELY
  • May not be used for:
    • Regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle. -SHE's RETIRED, and THAT's WHAT MY JT's FOR
    • Commercial purposes or to carry a load. -NOPE
Since my YJ is no longer my DD and has become more of my top down fun in the sun summertime rig, to and from "auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings" of course, I'm thinking in 2025 she's gonna be a collector's item!

As for you 1992 and older YJ owners out there, I'd look into it and see, I mean why not?
collectorPlate.png

Here in Texas they also allow for vehicles with “Antique “ auto tags to be driven to and from the mechanics shop for repairs. I didn’t tell them that a Jeep YJ is ALWAYS on its way to the shop. The driver may not realize it at the time, but it is.

Register it in Montana, All vehicles over 11 years old qualify for permanent plates in MT. I registered my Harley in 2003, it cost me $100. My 73 Jimmy about the same time, it cost me $80. Still running them both, no driving restrictions.

I love the option to do Collector tags. I rebuilt a 1994 Honda V65 Magna motorcycle and did the collector tags. Nice option.

I have to laugh where I see "antique" plates on vehicles here in NM or AZ. Purely because 99% of the vehicles I own cause they are affordable fit in that category. Recon I still think stuff from the 90ies is fairly newish.