92 YJ 4.0 L M Transmission Bolt Thread / Depth Size

Surfire9

Could anybody please identify the type of bolt size and thread f
rom the picture, can't find anything online or in manual.

Right at the very bottom of what I think is the b3l lhousing, right underneath the rear main oil seal.

Runs fine without but makes me nervous.

20210726_184136.jpg

This is kind of a Good news, Bad news, Good news situation.
You've nothing to be nervous about unless the other one falls out, but then it'll just be a rattle.

The Good news is it's just a bolt for the cover, why they chose such a large bolt, I don't know.
The Bad news is I don't know what size it is, but I think it's metric.
The Good news is it doesn't matter because it's a bolt with a nut. You can pick metric or SAE at the hardware store.
Any bolt that fits reasonably through the hole (not too small) and is long enough to get a lock-nut on will work.

That is no big deal at all. I'll pull mine and test the thread for you and take a pic. It is literally just helping secure the sheet metal inspection plate to the bellhousing, which is already WAY overkill secured with those gigantic bolts and nuts at 5:00 and 7:00 that are doing the same job also.

• Haha
Reactions: jeepjoe43
Well, you may not be able to buy it based on the thread after all, it's more of a sheet metal screw style. Maybe I can find it in a Mopar parts manual, it would have been used on at least all 91-06 manuals. It is a 1/2" head so it is standard, but still not sure of the thread. The threads were too coarse for my thread checker.

IMG_5497.jpeg

That is no big deal at all. I'll pull mine and test the thread for you and take a pic. It is literally just helping secure the sheet metal inspection plate to the bellhousing, which is already WAY overkill secured with those gigantic bolts and nuts at 5:00 and 7:00 that are doing the same job also.
I knew you were going to chime in! LOL
And you just go the extra mile, I wasn't going crawl under mine.
But, God bless ya brother!

Reactions: machoheadgames
It is officially Mopar 11500986, and M8x2.12x16 thread. Weird, maybe it's actually 12mm head. 1/2 sure seemed snug. Maybe it's one of those SAE Metric hybrid halfsies. Who knows, but that is the part number, and it is discontinued. See if you can find something similar to my picture using that thread.

Update....pretty much can not find that bolt part number or that thread anywhere at all. I would forget it. It is really no issue. I promise the gigantic bolts/nuts to the left and right will do the job of securing the 3 ounce dust cover tight to the bellhousing.

I knew you were going to chime in! LOL
And you just go the extra mile, I wasn't going crawl under mine.
But, God bless ya brother!
Lol, was under there dicking around with the oil pan just a bit ago, so what's one more quick crawl....the tools are already right there as I was using my 1/2" ratchet wrench, so it was really no biggie :ROFLMAO:

I think were looking at the hole at the 7:00 position, with a big bolt and a nut.
I don't remember any Screws like your picture coming out mine when I did the clutch.

I think were looking at the hole at the 7:00 position, with a big bolt and a nut.
I don't remember any Screws like your picture coming out mine when I did the clutch.
There are three of them, 2:00, 6:00 and 10:00. Yours may be missing by now too. They screw into the bellhousing from the engine side, so opposite of all the other bolts that are going into the engine. They really just secure the cover plate which is already really secure from all the engine bolts and the big bolts at the bottom.

In his picture you can see 5:00 (big bolt and nut) and 6:00 (missing small bolt), 7:00 (another big bolt and nut) is not pictured.

The 5 and 7 positions are large cast holes for the bolts to pass through since they're pretty longm probably 2" each at least.

Surfire's pic is starting to make me think I shouldn't bother continuing to try and seal my oil pan gasket to have no leaks. :ROFLMAO: