89 YJ high beams stuck on

Arm physically stuck in high beam mode, or moving arm back to low beam mode still keeps the high beams on?

There's a mechanical metal rod that runs down the column to depress the high beam switch. It's possible it's jumped out of the little cup that holds it in place and now won't depress it enough to switch.

Arm physically stuck in high beam mode, or moving arm back to low beam mode still keeps the high beams on?
When you pull the arm towards you it clicks like it should and the hi-beam comes on then when you pull it again, the lo-beam comes on as it should, however when i pulled it to activate the hi-beams the hi-beams came on then when i pulled it to return to lo-beam, the hi-beams stay on now. it wont click back to Lo.

When you pull the arm towards you it clicks like it should and the hi-beam comes on then when you pull it again, the lo-beam comes on as it should, however when i pulled it to activate the hi-beams the hi-beams came on then when i pulled it to return to lo-beam, the hi-beams stay on now. it wont click back to Lo.
Hmmm, yeah in that case it could be the rod, could be the column mounted dimmer switch, or could be the wiper or turn signal switch where the stalk slips in if somehow the rod is disconnected there. I haven’t been through that part of the column in a long time and forget exactly how those 3 parts intermingle.

I would do as downs suggested and look at the rod connection first to see if that’s still intact. It’s likely either that or the switch simply went bad and needs a replacement.

Reactions: DOWNS
89 YJ, canada model.
the service manual is free.
chapter on steering column. covers all this.
so just the stalk lever flasher fails?
I have the FSM open now. for you.
the stalk fails. only
so cover off the steering base, (shroud) 5 screws?
and fix the rod
chapter 19 page 54.
titled ,DImmer switch.

the rod connection is covered. here.
extract the page for your below
as you can it must be put in correctly using drill bit. (or equiv)
the book is free.(posted vast times)

dimmer.jpg

the 90 book free is here (icon 1 1990 is close match)
posted 1000s times now
there are more if you google the shop manuals. even free ones or $10 CD off fleabay.