89 4.2 wouldn't start then did

computec84

89 yj 4.2 wouldn't start up for me. It would turn over fine. Tried using starter fluid. No go. Tried cranking it over about 4 hours later and it started right up. I have been having it stall out a couple times lately. Any ideas?

89 yj 4.2 wouldn't start up for me. It would turn over fine. Tried using starter fluid. No go. Tried cranking it over about 4 hours later and it started right up. I have been having it stall out a couple times lately. Any ideas?
fails to start cold and hot engine? or both?
seems like you flooded it cranking as is crazy easy to do on CARB engine,.
spark plug tips dripping fuel is flooded
the choke., stuck on or too much it will flood. (wet spark plug tips =proof)
the trick on carbs is not cranking it do death, but to use WOT cranking (100% air) to clear the flood, or even block open the choke plate,.
WOT- wide open throttle, works on EFI too and says so in the users guide.

cranks but will, not start, well be happy it is a hard failure making the diagnosis x10 more easy and for sure safer. (than on road stalls)
good engine, (can not burn fuel on a dead engine) (picture burned up intake valves) tests show vacuum bounces, and compression fails l;ow. 150psi par.

the three: gOOD: engine/spark/ and good fueling and air too, but the CARB does air.and chokes love to faiL.
there can be bad fuel, is car found in barn dead,no history told.

THERE CAN BE NO FIRE IF SPARK IS GONE, SO... THE WORD IS COMBUSTION. (i can burn (fire) in a gutter.

spark can'T burn fuel lacking spark, ottocycle gas engine's/

so spark , google how to test spark 100 years the same way then and now. I use a new test spark plug gaped to 35 thou.
not a full list, have 50 in mine,

then try test fuel (using maGIC INSTANT START IN A CAN)

CONSIDER A TUNE UP? (CAP/ROTOR/WIRE-SETs/ AND SPARK PLUGS GAPED TO SPEC?)

4.2: HAS WHAT FUELING, ?89?
This engine is stuck in CARB land , no real EFI , no TBI , no MPI. no worse! ,an electronic CARB c2BBD.
so if spark is good ,then try test fuel and did and fails so ... do this.

in the carb air horn of the c2 BBD carb? , air cleaner off, (is air cleaner ,clean and fuel filter? ) both are tune up listed.
this CARB has computer too and is not fun to work with ever.

now block open the choke fly plate on top of air horn, now choke is 100% dead ,and crank NOW.
I love CARB S, but not electronic ones ever.
check all fuses?>
make sure the choke works. cranking fails try WOT first. then block open choke.

see 1 page here, on BBD carb
fear.JPG

ever do a full tune up, spark and all filters.?????
x = stepper motor
this electric feed back carb C2BBD
I see many carbs used, this but one.

fear3.JPG

Last edited:
I got it running again and poured dry gas in the tank. Seems to run better now. It was stalling right after I fueled up so I was thinking there was water in the fuel. I will update if it happens again. And I plan on doing a full tune up soon. Thanks everybody.