87 YJ has black smoke in the exhaust

Beef1337

I recently married a woman whose father owned an '87 Wrangler as his off-road transport to his Michigan hunting club near his lakefront cottage. The Jeep sat in a garage for the past ten years since his passing without getting driven much or given any attention. My wife religiously keeps her cottage vehicles on a battery tender so every year it gets started and driven 50 miles before it goes back into storage.

I am about to retire from an engineering management position and I'll have some time to turn a wrench on this vehicle, so I want to become better educated on how to repair this worthy vehicle. That's why I'm here.

The jeep belches black smoke on startup and runs at a high idle until it warms up (see attached photo). I plan to put a compression gauge on it, on my next visit to Michigan (I live in Savannah, Georgia). What tools should I take with me to diagnose its ailments? I've ordered new soft top frame parts to replace the broken spreader bars.

IMG_5706a.jpg

Obviously running excessively rich, or using too much fuel. Carb most likely delivering excessive fuel would be my guess.

Id start with the choke and a possible adjustment. The linkage may be hung up from sitting so long. After 10 years its likely needs a carb rebuild as well. Id also open the air cleaner box and look for critter nests which will choke it off.