87 YJ, goin old school.

Shaker

I have recently been given a nice 87 YJ with 4.2 and manual trans. The jeep has had a long standing issue with running up to the point when I got it. It would fire and shut off. After some thought I started to regroup and go back to the good old days. Non-electric carb no ECM and new HEI distributor. especially after seeing the huge mouse/rat nest under the entire dash. What did I have to loose anyway? I have the Haynes manual to get started with the wiring but don't trust it. i also noticed the ignition switch making the gauges and lights act goofy when attempting start. Has anyone gone this route and started from scratch? If so is there a resource for knowledge on the wiring or aftermarket harness manufacturer. I will need to re-work the wiring or what have you? it is not goin to any jeep show. Just want it to start and run with old school set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ive now removed the engine compartment harness after labeling to check all wires for continuity. Steering column is now out to replace the ignition switch which was corroded and tighten up the tilt mech. Will put back smothered in dielectric grease to hinder future corrosion. While seats are out so im gonna paint all seams and surface rust then seal with flex seal and undercoat the entire area. a new solenoid coming tmrw and ill make custom length batt cables and ive relocated the solenoid about a foot above the stock one for easier access.Im hell bent to do this right. Like I said, it aint goin to a jeep show but it will be right and ill be smarter for this challenge :)

Easy, big guy...
The 258 (4.2) has been around a long time, and I doubt AMC changed it very much mechanically when it went into the YJ.
So old school parts should be readily available from older CJs, you might even be able go back to points & condenser.
Maybe you already know this.
I admit I'm no expert with the YJ platform so may not be the most help on that side. OLD Jeeps, different story.

Like me, most of the guys here are just trying to unscramble their factory eggs.
I'm surprised some the few swappers we have, haven't weighed in...

I do like your idea of getting rid of all that 80's smog motor crap, though.
Almost did a swap in mine for similar reasons, but really wanted to keep the FI.