2.5L Burning Oil

chuckkizer

Hey folks! I'm new to the forum and I just got my first YJ. It's a 92 with the 2.5L I4. As I was doing some research on this I read that this motor is known for burning a lot of oil. One article said that it could burn up to a quart every month. Is this something I should be watching out for? It seems a bit excessive to me.

Welcome to the form. I wish I could help you by providing you detailed info but there are some real experts that will reply I am sure. That being said, for me, my ‘92 YJ, 105K miles burns zero oil. I am lucky from what I understand but the previous owners must have taken care of it. It’s kind of a unicorn YJ. Really clean.

Never heard that one. My 91 with 150K might burn 1/2 a qt in 4000 mixed miles or hours of putting around or 3200rpm on the highway. I will say be aware of the crappy little plastic crank vent hose and the orface in the brass fitting the the VC that is the jeep version of a PCV valve moreless. It will carbon up as well as the line. I poke out the orface with a very small wire like 20th maybe and blow the plastic line out with compressed air.

Reactions: Flyer58
Welcome to the form. I wish I could help you by providing you detailed info but there are some real experts that will reply I am sure. That being said, for me, my ‘92 YJ, 105K miles burns zero oil. I am lucky from what I understand but the previous owners must have taken care of it. It’s kind of a unicorn YJ. Really clean.
Mine is in pretty good shape as well. I would be surprised if it uses that much oil. I've never had a vehicle go through oil like that. Thanks for the reply...I really appreciate it!

Never heard that one. My 91 with 150K might burn 1/2 a qt in 4000 mixed miles or hours of putting around or 3200rpm on the highway. I will say be aware of the crappy little plastic crank vent hose and the orface in the brass fitting the the VC that is the jeep version of a PCV valve moreless. It will carbon up as well as the line. I poke out the orface with a very small wire like 20th maybe and blow the plastic line out with compressed air.
That's some high rpms you're running there bro. Thanks for the heads up on the vent hose. At my first service I will look at that and then check on it regularly! Thanks so much for the reply...I really do appreciate it. Learning a ton on this forum.

That's some high rpms you're running there bro....
Not really. My 2.5L is quite happy running down the highway at 3100 RiP'ems. It's way better than it was with the factory 4.10 gears. 5th gear is useful and it gets better mileage too.
It has 172k on the odometer and burns zero oil.
...that reminds me, it's time for an oil change.

Not really. My 2.5L is quite happy running down the highway at 3100 RiP'ems. It's way better than it was with the factory 4.10 gears. 5th gear is useful and it gets better mileage too.
You have 4:88 gears? I was going to go to 4:88 but the shop here wants $2900 to do it. 4:10 works for now and my needs. Maybe later.

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep
You have 4:88 gears? I was going to go to 4:88 but the shop here wants $2900 to do it. 4:10 works for now and my needs. Maybe later.
Yep, after much deliberation I went with the 4.88's. I'm running 31" tires and couldn't be happier. I installed the gears myself, it took me 2 weeks of evenings and weekends to get them setup properly. It cost right at $1000 with the install kit and the Spartan front Helical LSD. I left the lil' D35 open, still not 100% sure what I want to do back there.

**edit** I just went back and looked, it cost $750.

Last edited:
Lol! What did you replace the 4.10s with?

Yep, after much deliberation I went with the 4.88's. I'm running 31" tires and couldn't be happier. I installed the gears myself, it took me 2 weeks of evenings and weekends to get them setup properly. It cost right at $1000 with the install kit and the Spartan front Helical LSD. I left the lil' D35 open, still not 100% sure what I want to do back there.

**edit** I just went back and looked, it cost $750.
A co-worker did his Cherokee and has all the tools. I am debating but I need to watch a few more YouTube vids to make sure I can do it. Don’t see why I couldn’t. I don’t have a lift so it would be done on the floor or how ever high I could get it lifted up off floor. I too have 31” tires and yeah, 5th gear is almost non-existent. Lol.

A co-worker did his Cherokee and has all the tools. I am debating but I need to watch a few more YouTube vids to make sure I can do it. Don’t see why I couldn’t. I don’t have a lift so it would be done on the floor or how ever high I could get it lifted up off floor. I too have 31” tires and yeah, 5th gear is almost non-existent. Lol.
I pulled the axles and did the regear on my motorcycle lift.

IMG_20211013_215713165.jpg

Probably added 3 or 4 hours (both axles)but was way easier than crawling under the rig.
I I don't know how many times I took those carriers in and out, but it was a lot.
IMG_20211015_210912673.jpg

Hey folks! I'm new to the forum and I just got my first YJ. It's a 92 with the 2.5L I4. As I was doing some research on this I read that this motor is known for burning a lot of oil. One article said that it could burn up to a quart every month. Is this something I should be watching out for? It seems a bit excessive to me.
Burn oil? No. Leak oil? Yep!

Reactions: chuckkizer