1992 YJ transmission swap

spazsolo

I have a 1992 Jeep YJ 2.5L with the AX-5 transmission that I need a new engine for. Someone I know has a slightly newer ('94) 2.5L yj with automatic transmission that he's doing a complete drivetrain swap on, and he is giving me an extremely good deal on both the engine and transmission (he mostly just doesn't want it taking up room in his shop). My Jeep is not used for heavy off-roading, so an automatic would be more convenient. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to convert from manual to automatic with the least amount of headache.

You will need a shifting steering wheel column, unless there is a mod out there I am unaware about. That and a radiator with transmission cooling for the cooling lines. The only other thing I can think of is you will have to remove the pilot bearing and the holder for it that sits in the back of the crank shaft. You will see it when you are about to remove your flywheel. You will need a puller to get it out. Everything else should be plug and play as long as he is giving you the whole drive line. Some wiring may need to be done for the Neutral Safety Switch.

I am currently swapping from auto to manual, but for the 4.0 motor.

Last edited:
You will need a shifting steering wheel column, unless there is a mod out there I am unaware about. That and a radiator with transmission cooling for the cooling lines. The only other thing I can think of is you will have to remove the pilot bearing and the holder for it that sits in the back of the crank shaft. You will see it when you are about to remove your flywheel. You will need a puller to get it out. Everything else should be plug and play as long as he is giving you the whole drive line. Some wiring may need to be done for the Neutral Safety Switch.

I am currently swapping from auto to manual, but for the 4.0 motor.
Shouldn’t need to change anything on the engine as he will be using that also. And if it were me I wouldn’t mess with the column and just use a floor shifter.