1992 YJ 2.5 gearing

Jwredger

I have a 1992 yj with the 2.5 4 banger in it. Has the manual 5 speed. Ive got 31s on it and wanting to change gearing to half way between 2h and 4lo when its in 2h or maybe a little closer than half way to where 4lo is now. I dont road it a lot so top speed isnt a problem. I never use 5th anyways now. I also want to upgrade to lockers. Whats the stock ratio on diffs? 4:10s? Ive seen several different answers on this page. Also whats the best option for me for lockers/gear kit? Ive installed a lot of yukon gears for customers in pickups/tahoes/etc and have had really good luck with them but never lockers so looking for opions on lockers/brands.

20230625_151048.jpg

You won’t be able to get halfway between hi and lo, but the closest you can get will be with 5.13 axle gears, which actually runs pretty decent on 31’s with a 2.5L. 31’s are significantly larger than stock but you’ll end up lower than stock on 31’s which would be nice.

Stock is 4.10, yes. Lockers could be a bad idea, the front axle is mostly on with a locker but the rear doesn’t usually last very long locked. That also depends on tire size and abuse though.

You won’t be able to get halfway between hi and lo, but the closest you can get will be with 5.13 axle gears, which actually runs pretty decent on 31’s with a 2.5L. 31’s are significantly larger than stock but you’ll end up lower than stock on 31’s which would be nice.

Stock is 4.10, yes. Lockers could be a bad idea, the front axle is mostly on with a locker but the rear doesn’t usually last very long locked. That also depends on tire size and abuse though.
Okay thanks!

If you have the original Dana 35 it is my understanding the numerically highest you could go is 4.88s. Have you switched rear axles? I have a 91 2.5L with a D35 from an 89 XJ with 4.56s. The 89 Dana 35 came with the 4.56 gear and a Lockright locker in the carrier. It has done well for me. With a Tera-low 4:1 they work well. I do admit I wish I had gone to 4:88s though. If you can do R&P gear set ups, find a Ford 8.8" and regear to 5.13s as suggested, assuming an 8.8 can accept 513s. I can't imagine you would be disapointed with 5.13s.

If you have the original Dana 35 it is my understanding the numerically highest you could go is 4.88s. Have you switched rear axles? I have a 91 2.5L with a D35 from an 89 XJ with 4.56s. The 89 Dana 35 came with the 4.56 gear and a Lockright locker in the carrier. It has done well for me. With a Tera-low 4:1 they work well. I do admit I wish I had gone to 4:88s though. If you can do R&P gear set ups, find a Ford 8.8" and regear to 5.13s as suggested, assuming an 8.8 can accept 513s. I can't imagine you would be disapointed with 5.13s.
5.13 is available for D30 and D35 and has been for around 8 or 9 years by now. Revolution sells them. For around 20 years, 4.88 was the max.

I see. I believe i found a kit for 5:13s for my dana 35 but i wonder if thats bogus then? Is it a ton of work to make a 8.8 swap in? I can easy do r&p thats no issue. Is a 8.8 pinion spline the same as dana for the rear yoke? Im trying to get it as low as possible with lockers as cost effective as i can. Thanks

I see. I believe i found a kit for 5:13s for my dana 35 but i wonder if thats bogus then? Is it a ton of work to make a 8.8 swap in? I can easy do r&p thats no issue. Is a 8.8 pinion spline the same as dana for the rear yoke? Im trying to get it as low as possible with lockers as cost effective as i can. Thanks
As I said, 5.13 has been out for the stock axles for almost a decade.