1992 Jeep Wrangler random questions

HarryPokker

Hello!

I recently bought my first Jeep Wrangler YJ, the great McGGyver car seen from the TV show.I actually bought 2 of them. Both them are from 1992 but they are so different, although they both seem to be almost in original setting. Since it is my first jeep and first YJ and it is very hard to find answers from internet these days (so much pointless information so it is hard find the information you need actually), I have several questions which I imagine are very easy to answer if you have had the Wrangler previously or if you know something about this car.
In Estonia there community where to ask about the YJ is very small so no forums or clubs where you can actually ask random questions and get the answer you need and not spend hours and hours on the internet finding the answer. I don't know if this is the right forum to ask these questions but I try anyway.

So, first some information about my car. It is the 1992 wrangler YJ which has Mercedes Benz C 250D (2000) diesel engine and gearbox on. I got the original 2.5 litre gasoline engine with the car which that has 120 000 miles on it but without the gearbox but running and in good condition. Some pictures of it too:

jeep3.png

Inside there is black leather interior and black carpets. The other one I bought but which I sold to my uncle was this:
IMG_0286.JPG

Cars from the same year 1992 but at the same time, totally different. The white one has doors for soft top and the redone has hard top. White one has the original 2.5 litre gasoline engine and beige interiour, also it is higher (lifted?) body and wider tyres (225 mm vs 285mm). So since the two cars have so different outlook and also lot of different details, I have some questions which I hope to find answer from here, this forum.

1. Did they make different body types in the factory so you could buy the car with soft or hard top originally from the factory? OR the soft top was added in addition and the original car has only the hard top? Inside the doors of the soft top car has no handles to roll the windows down.Is the capability built inside or if you ordered the soft top from the shop they did not install the needed adapters and systems in the door?
2. Were all the cars same height and with same tyres and the white on in the picture is just lifted afterwards?
3. What was the function of those orange lights at the front? Turn signal lamps or just always burning? Also the red car has additional lamps on the wings at front but the white one does not. Are those aftermarket lights or why one of them has those and the other doesn't?
4. One of the cars has nickel shining parts on the body, the white one has black or painted the same color as the body. (Mirror frames, hinges, hood fixators, grill on the hood etc)
5. Where could I get the repair manual for the YJ

Tnx in advance

IMG_0286.JPG

Nice Jeeps!!! I'll answer one question about the manuals.. They can be found in the recourses section of this forum along with other good documents. They may not be the exact year as yours but close enough to do any work.

I know little to nothing about the history or options of these Jeeps.

There are quite a few variations of top and door combinations. For the most part, you could buy a Jeep with a soft top, hard top, or both. The tops are all cross compatible with all YJs.

Regarding the doors, you could get half steel doors or full steel doors. The half steel doors do not have a window crank, as the plastic or framed cloth window simply pops off the top. The full steel doors come with an integrated glass window and crank.

The doors are also all cross compatible, meaning you can put full steel doors on a jeep with a soft top or half doors on a hardtop if you so desire. The full doors tended to be the premium option, though the half doors are highly sought after for use with the soft top (or especially no top).

TL;DR: Tops and doors are all interchangeable for any 87-95 jeep.

If you decide you want a new soft top for either jeep, go with Bestop. Bestop is the factory manufacturer for all Jeep tops, and they will fit as well as the factory one did brand new. If you want a hardtop, look for a good used one. The aftermarket tops often don't match the quality of the OEM.

As for the lights on the red jeep, those ones on the bumper are not factory. That is an aftermarket bumper. I'll bet the lights were added because the bumper hides the factory turn signals and running lamps (under the headlights). The white jeep has a factory or similar bumper.

If someone here knows where is the nearest place to Estonia to order Bestop products then that would be useful. Ordering from US the customs amount is quite large so it is much cheaper to buy it from Europe.