1990 Jeep Islander Build I need your opinion

9nick0

I am building a 4.2 automatic 1990 YJ Islander and need help with a few questions.

Here is where I am at. I just bought it. It drives great. Just drove it back 6 hours on the highway from where I bought it. Underneath looks really good so I plan on washing it down underneath and doing a rust preventative. Probably do it myself with some spray cans. I plan on repainting the top in a brighter white. Does anybody have any recommendations on the type of paint to use for the hard top? I plan on doing a 2.5" rough country spring lift with shocks. I would like the tires to not stick out much at all but I do want to maximize the size that I put on them with the 2.5" lift. What can I get away with here and what do I need to be looking at as far as rims and tires that will maximize the look and the ride and not stick out? Again, I do not want them to stick out very much. More skinny and tall. I will be doing absolutely no offroading with this particular jeep. Nice beach and daily driver is what I am going for. Here are my other questions.

1) The ac is not working, where do I start with something like that?
2) Tire size to maximize the space of the 2.5" lift while not sticking out and looking wider?
3) Type of paint used for the hard top?
4) Type of paint used for the fender flares?

Thanks in advance and I'll post updates. - Nick

IMG-6475.jpg

IMG-6474.jpg

IMG-6473.jpg

IMG-6472.jpg

Last edited:
An Islander is something I am contemplating for mine as well. I can't decide between blue or yellow. I just like the color scheme I have going on currently. So it is going to be ahwile before I start mine if I even still go that route

For the color of the hardtop I would say a light grey would be a great compliment for the white body.

Something similar to this:
1989_jeep_wrangler_15516489303b2253e7Screenshot-2019-03-03-13.34.22.png

Edit: Misread your post. I thought you were repainting the Jeep a Bright White and were asking what color you should do the hardtop.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9nick0
For the AC. Inspect the relay, but odds are the compressor is probably frozen if the AC hasn't been turned on in a long time. It may need a replacment. Idk if it is repairable.

Where do you plan on getting the Islander decals? I am just curious. I saw Phoniex does them and I saw another online place. One had the tailgate decals while the other one didn't provide the tailgate decals.

For tires I believe you are going to want to find a width that is under 9.5in. 8.5in was the biggest stock width. Mine are 10.5in and I think they stick out too much. So around a 9in (225mm - 230mm) width should be ideal.

For the AC. Inspect the relay, but odds are the compressor is probably frozen if the AC hasn't been turned on in a long time. It may need a replacment. Idk if it is repairable.

Where do you plan on getting the Islander decals? I am just curious. I saw Phoniex does them and I saw another online place. One had the tailgate decals while the other one didn't provide the tailgate decals.
On a Jeep that old I actually don't think it has a relay at all. Usually the power for the whole system is tied to the fuse box under the dash, and then a power lead branches off of the dash unit out to the compressor to engage it when necessary.

But yes, who knows what the actual issue. That all kind of depends on what aspect of the AC "doesn't work". doesn't blow, blows warm, loud screeching when turned on, etc. Needs more info there for sure.

I am building a 4.2 automatic 1990 YJ Islander and need help with a few questions. As soon as I figure out how to get photos on here I will upload them.

For tires I believe you are going to want to find a width that is under 9.5in. 8.5in was the biggest stock width. Mine are 10.5in and I think they stick out too much. So around a 9in (225mm - 230mm) width should be ideal.
Thank you that is very helpful.

Any idea on some white rims that might fit with something like that?

Any idea on some white rims that might fit with something like that?
I am not sure, you will have to shop around. And I think in order to get the tires skinny and have a larger than 30in tire, you may need a larger rim size.

Also, here are the two decals sites I mentioned earlier:

Pricy, but looks like it has everything:

Cheaper, but missing the tailgate decal:

Off personal experience consider this. My 91 ran stock 15x7 wheels for years with 31's. I did it intentionally after having aftermarket 15x8's and getting covered with mud,snow or water from wheel fling. The stockers stayed inside the flares and pretty eliminated this. I got tired of the ugly stockers and recently bought 15x8'/4" back spaced black steelies from Quadratec. They stick out about 1.5" or so further then the factory wheels and of course I get covered with mud unless the windows are rolled up which to me I cant stand unless its pouring rain. Your current wheels look like 15x7's which you can run 33's on. They will rub unless your adjust the steering stops out. Just a thought depending on what your usage will be and I sure you'll get more details from the great bunch here. Its all a trade off of what you get for what you'll lose I suppose.

The ac does work I just didn't know how to turn it on. I figured it was through the vent and heater controls and obviously I see that it is not now. It has never overheated before even on long drives while stuck in traffic but it did overheat when I turned on the ac and sat at idle for about 10 minutes with it blowing at the highest level. Any suggestions on what could be causing that? I read that I maybe need to flush out the radiator or that the ac pump itself might be causing the issue. Any help is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the AC controls are located under the dashboard, to the left of the heater controls, looking like some aftermarket add-on. At least thats how it is in my '95. I have factory AC, but in my opinion, it all looks like an afterthought. Personally, its a jeep. Why would you ever need ac? I'd love to remove mine.

31's fit nicely with 2 1/2" of lift, they don't change the driveability too much, and still looks fairly factory. I did a lot of research before installing my lift and wound up going with the Old Man Emu set up. Little more money, but I can drive that jeep all damn day and still love it.

I'm pretty sure the AC controls are located under the dashboard, to the left of the heater controls, looking like some aftermarket add-on. At least thats how it is in my '95. I have factory AC, but in my opinion, it all looks like an afterthought. Personally, its a jeep. Why would you ever need ac? I'd love to remove mine.

31's fit nicely with 2 1/2" of lift, they don't change the driveability too much, and still looks fairly factory. I did a lot of research before installing my lift and wound up going with the Old Man Emu set up. Little more money, but I can drive that jeep all damn day and still love it.
Thank you. I went with a different setup after looking at the old man emu because it was just a better value for me right now. I might upgrade in the future and come back around to them. I was thinking 31's or 32's. I doubt I will go much larger than that. The wife needs to get in and out of it also. I love the ac. It still works right now but needs a little bit of a charge. I am in real estate and this is going to be my car for driving around town but also to show houses. I usually dress up for that so the ac will help with the Virginia heat here.