YJ Trailer

dieseljeep

This might be the wrong thread, but I want to steal the rear part of my YJ tub and convert it into a trailer.

I do not know where to cut yet, but basically this part is an extra on my YJ truck build. I do think I'll need to add some material and make it a bit longer. Honestly I'm thinking about making it long enough to sleep in, so ~6.5ft. I can't remember what the measurements are, but I might need to find to rear YJ/Jeep tubs and then put them together with 2 tailgates facing opposite directions for this.

I'm thinking I'll just go with a simple straight trailer axle, but I'll probably use a spare Dana 35 for awhile.

Please chime in with suggestions, especially if you know where I should cut so I can use, I think Gr8 tops makes a YJ truck hardtop. Might just need to call them.

Someone did this on the TJ Forum with the TJ tub. I wonder if it's the same as the YJ tub in terms of where you cut.

Reactions: dieseljeep
I did this with a Chevy S10 years ago. Cut the frame as far forward as you can. In the case of the S10 I cut it about the front of the seat, IIRC. Once the cab was off it was easy to measure each leg of the frame and cut to length with a portaband. The other cuts to fold the frame in, prep to weld, etc. were also done with a portaband.
Before you start in with the torch, remove the fuel tank and bleed the fuel and brake lines or you have unwanted fire.
Good luck with your project and keep us informed.

I was thinking of not cutting the frame and making a sub frame for tub. I'm trying to use the Jeep frame in my truck build.

Did you use the truck axle and brakes?

You mean build a frame for the tub from scratch? That sounds like a lot more work and expense. On the S10 trailer we just disconnected the brakes entirely and used the existing axle. It worked just fine for camping, runs to the garbage dump etc.

You mean build a frame for the tub from scratch? That sounds like a lot more work and expense. On the S10 trailer we just disconnected the brakes entirely and used the existing axle. It worked just fine for camping, runs to the garbage dump etc.
Well in this instance, I need the Jeep frame for the Jeep truck and a trailer like that doesn't need a robust frame. I figure a bit of box tubing and angle iron would be plenty for something with such a light payload.

I'm thinking this could be something like a dinoot trailer build, but only add the front panel, which I'd probably just make.

Reactions: Bill
One of the advantages of the YJ tub is that the rear inner fenders are squared off. Makes it much easier to build storage and racks around those fenders than the rounded TJ fenders. The frame is 1/8" thick, so it shouldn't be terrible to work with
I love the yj interior, but I've got a heavily modded TJ I really like and I love trucks, so I'm trying to blend the truck and Jeep in 1 vehicle I guess. But I've been wanting a nice small off road trailer so I'm hoping to tick off several wants on my list with this very slow build.

The trailer is probably the easier and cheaper of the builds too so I'm thinking of actually starting it soon, but I don't want to start cutting until I'm sure of the end product.