Which Header Pipe on a 1987 4.0 Swap?

YJ928

I'm swapping out my 4.2L and going with a reman 1991-92 4.0. I think I have everything I need except the header pipe.

My 87 doesn't have a cat so I don't need the flat plate on the end of the header pipe that's available for that year 4.0. On the other hand the 93-95 header pipe has a flange that widens.

Should I get the 91-92 pipe and cut off the plate or get the 93-95 and cut off the flange?

This forum isn't letting me upload the pictures to show the difference. Hopefully it will allow me to post the links.

Hmmm, no reason you shouldn't be able to upload pictures as long as they are 7MB or under (which is massive).

If you want my honest opinion, I don't think it matters which one you go with, since you'll have to cut anyways. In fact, if it were me, I wouldn't buy either. I'd drive it to an exhaust shop once you have it running (it will be loud, I know), and have them custom fab a down pipe. Easy, cheap, and should take them an hour or less.

This is what I've always done.

Reactions: The rifleman
Thanks Chris. That's good advice. I'll do that and if for some reason I would need to order one of the ones I mentioned; I can do so then.

On the pics, it could be I didn't have enough posts yet.