What shifters should I get for both 4L60 transmission and transfer case?

Jeepster

I have a 2003 5.3 LS mated to a 4L60E transmission. that I purchased as a pullout. The transfer case is a NP 231 from a 1996 S10/Blazer that has a SYE installed. This combination is going into my 1990 YJ that was originally a 4.2 with automatic trans and NP 231. Does anyone have any suggestions on what shifters I should get for both the 4L60 and transfer case? I have a one.inch drop kit for the transfer case and the jeep has a six inch lift. I'm getting ready to install the drive train soon. Thanks

I hae a 2006 4.8l with a 4L60 and a 241 T-case in a 92 YJ. Still working through the details but it is on the road.
I used a Lokar transmission mounted floor shifter. It works well and looks good. I used a manual floor shifter out of a late 90s suburan for the transfer case. I am going to use universal rubber shift boots for both. Amazon is your friend on the boots. There are custom cable shifters aailable for the transfer case but I opted for old school wrecking yards. I can post some pics of the shifters shortly.

Some pics of the shifters, linkages and the stock crossmember

48D4BEAB-32A8-4FA0-9DD1-0377E447DF9E.jpeg

5308C1C9-08A6-4520-ABC0-79EE201611E2.jpeg

9435540F-B65F-4ADF-B16C-BAE7BAE8CEBA.jpeg

48026842-5A16-434C-A7A0-9853555A0EC1.jpeg

0741E348-5A0D-4DF7-8049-22E9B99E098F.jpeg

Thanks RandyN. I'm not a fan of cable shifters either. I like what you have by the pics. Did the shifter for the t-case have mechanical linkage that came out of the Suburban. I like that a lot. Do you happen to know the model of the Lokar shifter? Some are shown attaching to the trans rather than the floor. Was there a particular reason you chose the way you went. This is my first attempt at building a Jeep of any kind. I have made a few mistakes and now trying to me sure I don't make many more. At seventy-five, this is one of my final builds. I have one more, but it can wait til after the Jeep. Thanks a lot for the info. You. put a smile on this old man's face! Jeepster

Reactions: RandyN
I went with the transmission mounted model. I bought it in FB marketplace from a street rod builder who changed his build. I want to feel the power train through the shifter for why it’s worth.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions as I made most of the mistakes that you can make. BTW you have 8 years on me!!!
Cheers

Thanks RandyN. I'm not a fan of cable shifters either. I like what you have by the pics. Did the shifter for the t-case have mechanical linkage that came out of the Suburban. I like that a lot. Do you happen to know the model of the Lokar shifter? Some are shown attaching to the trans rather than the floor. Was there a particular reason you chose the way you went. This is my first attempt at building a Jeep of any kind. I have made a few mistakes and now trying to me sure I don't make many more. At seventy-five, this is one of my final builds. I have one more, but it can wait til after the Jeep. Thanks a lot for the info. You. put a smile on this old man's face! Jeepster

Jeepster, You asked about the linkage on the suburban shifter and I missed answering. It was missing the linkage and I didnt like what I could find on line and the wreckers had nothing. I had to adjust the offset on the shifter bellcrank to get a better alignment to the transfer case shifter. I replaced the GM ball stud on the shifter with a bolt on one (like they use on truck canopy door lifters) and welded up the hole on the Transfer case bell crank and drilled it for a ball stud. I bought a piece of threaded rod and a couple of threaded balll stud sockets and jam nuts. you can see the result and it works well.

For the transmission shifter, all that I have looked at that mount to the transmission show a mounting bracket that bolts also to the rear of the trans. They all appear to be for 2 wheel drive. How did you mount your Lokar to the trans? Jeepster

For the transmission shifter, all that I have looked at that mount to the transmission show a mounting bracket that bolts also to the rear of the trans. They all appear to be for 2 wheel drive. How did you mount your Lokar to the trans? Jeepster
It is a tail mount shifter it bolts where the tcase adapter housing bolts onto the 4L60. It is still dark outside this morning. I wil try to get a pic and post it later
Check this link and look at the tail mount shifter -TM https://lokar.com/catalog/#page=37

That looks like what I need. Expensive little sucker! Thanks
That looks like what I need. Expensive little sucker! Thanks
I got mine on Facebook marketplace from a street rodder that I had bought one and changed his mind. Check swap meets Facebook marketplace and maybe some street rod shops to see if you can find a used one or one that somebody has bought and doesn’t want.

Not much done over the winter. How are you doing? My transfer case is from an S10. The front drive shaft uses a slip on rather than u-joints at the transfer case, not like the original jeep. What did you come up with and what about the rear shaft? Thanks, Jeepster.

I used an NP 241C ih a supershort SYE kit. So it is very similar to the Tcase hat came out. I used a U joint that mated to the jeep driveshaft and Tcase. On the rear I had a CV shaft made up to match the SYE yoke and he jeep yoke at the other end.
It really goes with the 4.8 in it!!!