What are easy axle swaps for the YJ?

dieseljeep

What are the easy axle swaps for the YJ? I'm pretty sure the YJ I've got has a bent Dana 35 and for my YJ flat bed, I'd like to have something a bit stronger than a Dana 35 so I can haul a bit more around on the bed.

I'm not sure if just going with a 8.8 or something is the way to go or not. This is going to be a slow build, so I just want to keep on the lookout for cheap/high quality options. Clearance is a big factor for me and if possible, I wouldn't mind running the same bolt pattern as my Dodge 2500, but that's not a big deal really, but if there were easy ways, beyond adapters, I'd be interested.

I think the 8.8 is a good and popular swap for the YJ. It can be done cheap as well.

However, I will say that if you turn a Dana 35 into a Super 35 (which can also be done cheap), it will hold 35" tires just fine, even in the toughest of wheeling terrain.

Reactions: dieseljeep
I'm not just worried about hard terrain, but also some hauling. I've got a super 35 kit for my TJ. I'll go measure the shaft diameter and check that the 8.8 and maybe I'll cross reference the axle tube size and stuff and see if the loss of clearance for an 8.8 is worth it vs the Dana 35.

I'm just planning to run 4.10s in the Jeep mated with some diesel engine and I'd like it to be able to handle at least a half ton.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the Dana 35 that's in the Jeep. It could be a brake locked up, but I doubt it. When I moved it with the prop shafts removed, going forward the tires just skidded, but in reverse I think they moved.

Reactions: Chris
I sort of trust an OEM rated 1/2 ton axle and one I've overloaded to an insane degree vs the Dana 35, which I've never overloaded. But I'm not sure how easy it is to find an 8.8 with 4.10s.

I also wonder about setting this up to be kind of like an overseas 1 ton. Meaning, small diesel, but it's gonna be a stretched flat bed, heavy suspension, probably a nv4500 or similar transmission, are there other good donors out there?

I can get an 11.5 aam axle shipped to my door with 4.10s cheaper than a Dana 35 locally that I need to re gear. However the aam axle is insanely low to the ground and it's often a boat anchor for my truck. Actually the front axle is but seriously there's not much clearance.

I'm not focused on crawling, but I like Jeeps and I like trucks. I kinda prefer trucks for hauling and towing stuff. I like Jeeps off-road, though in my muddy areas, trucks and their wheelbase seem to do better on established and wide trails or fields.

8.8 is probably the cheapest and most plentiful axle in my area. I assume I'd be looking for an explorer model with 4.10s. Do the leaf spring configurations make it an easier fitment vs the TJ setup I'm kind of used to?