Timing chain

Leonfelipe88

Hello, I have a YJ 1987 4.2 with 105k original miles. My mechanic told me that the time is moving, and the chain is doing sometimes a noise mostly around 60 - 75 mph.
He told me that replacing the time chain could wait since the car is working fine. Do you think I should wait or take the advantage that I have next week off and made the chain replaced?
what´s you opinion?

let him fix
we can not know what others discovered.
my prev. post is to tell you it can be other things TOO,, after 36 year cars will have more than one problem.
the answer is , make it do it now.

or do it your self.
your car your call
we can not ever guess what is best for you.
but let downs try. for sure.

and many shops lack the skills to know the difference from chain loose or distributor bearings shot. doing the tests wrong.

Last edited:
timing of what there are 2 things, spark and cam. (age matter here so...)

Read his post man. He specifically mentions "Chain" multiple times in his post. So which one do you think he's talking about?

OP, the timing chain is a somewhat involved job, but not hard. You can save yourself some headache on the I6s by removing the radiator and grille. You'll want to replace the tensioner while you are in there, as that is what takes up that slack in the chain as it wears. There are some special tools needed but you can rent them from your local FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) or buy from Amazon and put them in your tool pile.

There are lots of videos on You Tube on how to do it and if you have at least a decent amount of automotive knowledge you will be good to go.

Hello, I have a YJ 1987 4.2 with 105k original miles. My mechanic told me that the time is moving, and the chain is doing sometimes a noise mostly around 60 - 75 mph.
He told me that replacing the time chain could wait since the car is working fine. Do you think I should wait or take the advantage that I have next week off and made the chain replaced?
what´s you opinion?
Change the water pump while your at it too.