Thinking of a howell fi conversion

KenO88Wrangler

Thinking of getting rid of the Carter carb and converting to fi on my 88 wrangler. O see the mopar kit is no longer avail, but did see that howell makes a bolt on one. Anyone have experience with this or other thoughts? Thanks

I had the Howell kit on a 83/258 CJ7 I had. It eliminated lots of the factory emissions junk thats for sure. It ran real nice but I cant say it did wonders for fuel economy if that part of your plans for converting. I think the kit is smog legal everywhere but you may wanna check to be sure.

Thanks gilaguy. Fuel eco is not the driver. Trying to get away from the carter which i understand can be problematic. If not fi. What about a weber carb conv?

I dont think webers are smog legal where smog checks are required. Regardless I basically hated FI for decades, I beginning to see the light now especially at altitudes. The kit on mine used A Chevy 2bbl TB and some basic easy to obtain parts which are easily obtained. Keep in mind your paying the $1200 or whatever they are now for the effort somebody went thru to make the kit. Once you have it all the parts could be bought off Rock auto for probably half the cost to replace the entire setup save the wiring stuff. And yes, the factory carbs on the CJ/YJ were pretty bad.

I dont think webers are smog legal where smog checks are required. Regardless I basically hated FI for decades, I beginning to see the light now especially at altitudes. The kit on mine used A Chevy 2bbl TB and some basic easy to obtain parts which are easily obtained. Keep in mind your paying the $1200 or whatever they are now for the effort somebody went thru to make the kit. Once you have it all the parts could be bought off Rock auto for probably half the cost to replace the entire setup save the wiring stuff. And yes, the factory carbs on the CJ/YJ were pretty bad.
Gg23. Is there a parts list that i can follow?

Been a years since I had that CJ so I looked up on Howells website and it does show the GM part numbers for the GM parts used. remember there is also a adapter plate and ECM which is calibrated to ??. It may be the factory 4.3 settings or not. I think Ive read some make their own FI system using GM parts silimar to Howells but obviously you'll not get a CARB certificate number doing so if that matters.

Last edited: