Store an engine?

TrevzJeep

I have a spare engine thats been sitting in my old 88 wrangler (totaled it but the drive trains still good) im new to doing more than buying new parts to fix a car. How would I go about making sure this one is still okay and then storing it? Literally everything you know would help, do I leave oil in it, are there additives, just keep it in a clean dry place and have it be bone dry? Google was little help so if you know, I'd love some advise!

Good question, I am not sure. Last time we tried yes (more than a year ago) but since then much of the car has been donated to my current jeep so probably not?

First thing I usually do is de-grease the engine and pressure wash it thoroughly.
Believe it or not, best product I have found for this is LA's Totally awesome from the dollar store.
Starting with a cold engine, spray the engine with a garden hose, then soak the entire engine with Totally awesome. squirt everything. let it set for a few minutes but don't let it dry. pressure wash off the grease or use a spray nozzle if that's all you got, you can use a scrub brush to remove thicker deposits. Repeat this step until the engine is as clean as possible.
A clean engine is just nicer to deal with.

Once the engine is clean, I prefer to store them with a fresh oil change. Run it up to operating temp, drain the oil and replace the filter.
Be sure to write the date and mileage on the filter.
After that, run the engine for a few minutes to circulate the fresh oil.
Storing an engine with fresh oil in it is one of the best things you can do to ensure it survives long term storage.

Next drain the coolant out of the engine. There is a drain plug on the side of the block, If you pull the drain plug, ALL of the coolant will drain out of the engine. This is nice because it will prevent coolant from spilling out all over the floor during storage. This can be done before or after removing the engine. Replace the drain plug.

Pull all the plugs out and spray some fogging oil down each cylinder. rotate the engine a couple times by hand and spray a little more in. replace the plugs and tighten them. This can be done before or after removing the engine.

If you haven't done so, remove the engine.

Either obtain an engine stand to hold the engine or you can build a simple engine cradle out of 2x6 lumber. If you were feeling ambitious, you could also build a crate.

Wrap the engine in a heavy trash bag and place it on it's stand or cradle or in it's crate.
Label the engine so you know what it is later.
tuck it in a corner.

Grab a beer, you earned it.

Last edited:
I'll ad to your question. Since it cant be run Id drain the oil, fill with new and remove the dist and use a priming tool turn the oil pump until you see fresh oil in the rockers ect or see oil pressure off a mechanical gauge. Personally id wait or go real conservative on the pressure wash in the event you get water somewhere you dont want and it causes rust in places it shouldn't be. Drain the coolant and use a leaf blower to blow out the blocks remaining passages too. If its gonna sit for years my personal thought it to turn it over 180 at least every year. I see vehicles that have set for a decade and my feeling is it dont do the valve springs any favors being loaded the same that long. You could loosen up the rocker shaft ass and relieve all the pressures as well. leave the spark plugs threaded in and every year spray in some fogging oil and spin it over with the crank pulley bolt.