Steering column Grease

Hey guys/gals as my previous post stated I’m in the process of rebuilding my steering column. One area I’m not very knowledgeable is the type of grease to use when reassembling the column? Not just for the bearings but for all of the other moving parts like the tilt lever and springs. What type of grease would be good for this job?

My personal thoughts are consider the effects of sticky lubes and the dust you might encounter off road. The combo makes for a nice grit laden mess. If thats not a concern Id use a high quality syn lube on any bushings/bearings and something like one of Molykotes lubes on plastic parts or a silicone based lube of choice.

Agreed, it will probably be a combination of lubes.
I'm thinking a good quality general grease for bearings, white litheum for smaller parts and a silicone spray lube for plastic parts.
Just make sure anything you use on plastic isn't going to react with it.

Reactions: Justin Schuring
Thanks for the reply. I was reading that there are some lubes that will eat the plastic so I will be sure to stay away from the plastic parts with that stuff.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Thanks for the reply. I was reading that there are some lubes that will eat the plastic so I will be sure to stay away from the plastic parts with that stuff.
That's what I'm talking about, good on you doing your homework!
I think most synthetics are plastic friendly, but there may be exceptions.

Reactions: Justin Schuring
Ya I don’t do anything without doing my homework. It makes everything go as easy as possible. I hear about people just jumping into stuff head first and end up lost or breaking something. Like our parents always said, “Do your homework” haha.

• USA Proud
Reactions: jeepjoe43
Ya I don’t do anything without doing my homework. It makes everything go as easy as possible. I hear about people just jumping into stuff head first and end up lost or breaking something. Like our parents always said, “Do your homework” haha.
Amen Brother!
Especially when not doing it might leave you doing a 50 mile hike out of the desert(n)