Should I buy a YJ and sell my Toyota Matrix?

Motorcobra

Hey guys, I really want to buy a YJ. I’ve found the perfect one. It is 2.5 1995 stock and in very good condition. 112k miles.

I’ve been daily driving a Toyota Matrix and it has been great in that role... I just want something for me, that I can enjoy and that will get me to and from work reliably. I’ve seen some posts suggesting YJ stuff is becoming hard to find, is this true? My commute is only 7 miles so MPG is not a huge concern.

Also, I’d be selling the matrix due to space rather than out of necessity so I can’t keep both but! I don’t see why I couldn’t use the funds for some mods!

Thank you possible future YJ brothers.

The YJ is going to ride like shit compared to the Matrix, get worse MPG, and have much worse road manners.

The flip side is that once you drive a Wrangler with the top down and doors off, you'll never want to drive another vehicle again. I've owned some of the coolest cars out there (Z06 Corvettes, Hellcats, Camaro, M3, M5, etc.), but the Wrangler is above and beyond the most fun I've ever had.

The YJ is only harder to get trim pieces for such as interior bits, etc. For instance, if you wanted a replacement door panel, you'd have to look for a used one on eBay or similar, as they stopped making them long ago. Engine parts however are still easy to come by.

I say go for it. You only live once, and as long as you can deal with the stuff I mentioned above, you'll be a happy camper.

By all means sell the Toyota and get the YJ. And when all the 4-door $30k in aftermarket bling soccer moms wave at you, don’t wave back!

I absolutely love my 1989 YJ. Like Chris said it's the most fun vehicle I've ever owned and has allowed me to disciver and see things I never would had I not owned it. Yes it rattles, rides like crap, has no air conditioning, terrible fuel economy (compared to cars today) and has square headlights. BUT!!!!!!! it has never left me stranded and has gone places with ease that made my butt pucker, well to my surprise. It is a tough rugged little vehicle that is in a genre of it's own. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Bionicman
Well since he asked in April and hasn't posted since.... lol

I'm glad my YJ isn't my only transportation. I just waited 4 days for a simple part I could have bought locally the same day for either of my other "newer" rides. (and by newer I mean 20 and 24 years old respectively. lol)

Hey Guys, long time... it's not over yet.

I'm meeting a guy today to hopefully pick up a '95 in emerald green!

You will never...and I repeat.... never regret buying a YJ. But you will forever regret not buying one.
It's all about the wind in your hair, YJ, TJ, CJ or MB, it's all the same.
I used to be averse to the YJ, but mine was a stray that I took pity on and adopted.
Get the Jeep!
Take off the doors, and go have fun!
Hell, drop the windshield too. Strapped to the hood is it's proper place anyway;)

Drive it all around Florida, just keep off the interstates. With the 4.0 vs the 4.2 with the auto and the 3.54 gears and the 31" tires it likes to cruise 50-60 mph.