Rocky-Road 100% bolt-on SOA kit

Has anyone used or looked into this SOA Kit? It’s cheaper than getting the Rubicon Express 4.5” extreme duty lift kit. I can also get a heavy duty steering kit included for $1399.
81D45B80-F3AC-4E9B-84D3-6D3CDD812238.png

Has anyone used or looked into this SOA Kit? It’s cheaper than getting the Rubicon Express 4.5” extreme duty lift kit. I can also get a heavy duty steering kit included for $1399. View attachment 117198
Well, what are you using your Jeep for? If it’s mild wheeling, I advocate for staying SUA and wheeling it with 4 inch springs and 33’s.

Going to a 35 inch tire is opening up all kinds of need for support. In an ideal world you would need bigger brakes, longer brake lines, lockers, chromos, re-gear, SYE, and arguably hydro assist.

Reactions: Chris
Well, what are you using your Jeep for? If it’s mild wheeling, I advocate for staying SUA and wheeling it with 4 inch springs and 33’s.

Going to a 35 inch tire is opening up all kinds of need for support. In an ideal world you would need bigger brakes, longer brake lines, lockers, chromos, re-gear, SYE, and arguably hydro assist.
Ya I’m only going to be doing mild wheelin. Im undecided on what tire size I’m going to run but it will be 33’s or 35’s. I’m eventually going to be buying crate Dana 44’s for the front and rear with arb lockers and a 4.56 gear ratio. I’m planning on going to Moab and doing some of the easier trails but want to build my Jeep to handle some extreme’s if I choose to go there.

I’m eventually going to be buying crate Dana 44’s for the front
Do your homework. Solid Axle Industries and Dynatrac are the only aftermarket axle housing manufactures that have a Dana 44 center section designed to accept leaf springs. Solid Axle would be my go to for a Dana 44 high pinion. You buy just the center and build it yourself if desired.

Do your homework. Solid Axle Industries and Dynatrac are the only aftermarket axle housing manufactures that have a Dana 44 center section designed to accept leaf springs. Solid Axle would be my go to for a Dana 44 high pinion. You buy just the center and build it yourself if desired.
Nice thanks for the input. I have done a lot of searching and found this place East Coast Supply and they build custom bolt up Dana 44’s. I think that’s their name. I will have to look and repost if it’s different.

Reactions: SamTravScrant
Nice thanks for the input. I have done a lot of searching and found this place East Coast Supply and they build custom bolt up Dana 44’s. I think that’s their name. I will have to look and repost if it’s different.
The company name is East Coast Gear Supply if anyone was interested.

Just recently pulled the trigger on a D489 (JK Dana 44) rear from ECGS and was very impressed with their customer service.
The sell was 3.125 dia, 1/2" wall axle tubes and 35 spline axles, same price as a regular 44 with 30 spline axles.
Both come with Chromo axles, too. But after bending my D35 the choice was obvious.
However, with 35 splines they only offer 2 carrier choices, ARB or OX, I opted for the OX and 4.88s.
Only running 32s, but I've just got the wind-up motor.
I won't have my axle until mid April, so I can't speak to the quality as yet.
The D30R will be fine, but since I'm re-gearing, probably put an OX in it too, then I can use 30 spline axles there.

Oh nice that sounds like it’s going to be a beast of an axle. That’s why I like ECGS because of the options they have. For the YJ I can chose SOA or SUA which I haven’t decided what route to go. What is your opinion between ARB and OX lockers? I just grew up hearing of only ARB. If there is a better selectable locker over ARB which one would that be? You will have to let me know what you think of your Dana 44 when you receive and install. I am going to be getting the front and rear Dana 44’s for my YJ. Thanks for responding that helps with the decision making haha.

Your welcome, I'll never break it and that's a good thing!
I only chose the OX because I don't have on-board air and it doesn't have any vulnerable seals.
Mine will be cable actuated. I like simple.
Additionally, the D489 opens up the option to swap out the AX5 for a SM420, I HATE the stock AX5, but Loved my truck box.

Ya that’s why I’m going to buy too. No worries of breaking. That sucks no on board air. Ya they give a lot of different options to work with.

Broken axle shafts were the primary repairs on my flat-fender, especially after the SM420 swap (7 axles in one summer).
But they weren't the strongest, the original 10 spline spicer 25 closed knuckle front and a 19 spline D44 with tapered axles.
I wasn't planning on going crazy with the cheeze whiz on this one, but since the D35 is apparently made out of tin foil...
The C-clip axles won't be missed, either.
Good luck with yours, it'll be worth the coin.
Sure looking forward to getting mine.

Wow that’s insane. Ya I would rather pay the price for new complete Dana 44’s rather than finding old used Dana 44’s and then having someone fab all of the stuff to bolt under a YJ.

When did Jeep do away with the 4th leaf spring? I guess that’s why it’s not very complicated!
The fourth leaf pad is ideally cast into the housing center section. Requiring no welding or setup.
Attached is a picture of a SUA Dana 44 with the ideal leaf mount cast into the center section.
CAFB68D9-8794-4C0C-98A6-FE8E7B10BBB1.jpeg

If going to a one ton, the Ford Dana 60’s are also cast into the centersection, along with Chevy Dana 60’s, aftermarket Dynatrac ProRock 44’s, 60’s, Crane’s Dana 44’s, and Solid Axle Industries Dana 44’s.

Reactions: Justin Schuring