Removing Transmission Oil Pan

edgregorio

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1990 Wrangler Sport V6 automatic, and I am working on changing out all of the fluids. I was all prepared to drain the transmission and replace the gasket and filter but ran into a problem with two of the pan bolts blocked by the skid plate. Is there a way to access the two bolts without removing the skid plate? I thought I should ask before taking it in for a service. How difficult is it to remove the skid plate? I ended up pumping out and replacing as much fluid as I could.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

I had no problem getting to my bolts with the skid plate on. My biggest issue was getting the oil pan back on with the skid plate there. To get the oil pan off you will see you have to move the oil pan forward and then wiggle it at an angle to get it between exhaust/muffler and drive shaft with the skid plate in the way. I struggled keeping the gasket in place on the pan when trying to get the pan back on the transmission.

I don't believe it is difficult to remove the skid plate. There are alot of videos that show you how on youtube. You will have to put a jack stand to support the drive line though. The skid plate also serves as a transmission/Transfer case support mount

Last edited:
Also, if you plan on keeping the skid plate on, Jack up the rear of the Jeep so the oil flows out towards the front and not all in the skid plate like I did. I have made a mess in my skid plate.

Skid is easy to remove although a tad awkward maybe due to weight or size. 3 bolts on each side and the trans mount nuts. You can support the engines oil pan lightly and it will not go anywhere. This will give you an chance to inspect the frame where the skid bolts up and coat it with ?? of your choice if its rusting. Id also coat the skid bolts with anti seize when it goes back together for later disassembly. Keep in mind you'll not get anywhere near all the ATF out with dropping the pan or drain plugging it but its better than nothing by far.