Recommendations for an upgraded fuel pump

bkspear

I have an 87 wrangler that used to have a 2.5l - 4cyl. I have swapped that engine out for a chevy 5.3L , which needs around 60psi of fuel at the rail. Using the original fuel pump from the 4cyl , I found I am only getting around 40psi at the rail. Anyone have any suggestions for an upgraded fuel pump that will drop in the original tank that will push 60psi? Thanks.

I've seen the original in tank pumps push 80-90 psi when the return line gets kinked. Maybe your old pump is worn out? Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator upline?

Have you already replaced ALL of the flexible fuel lines from the pump to the injectors and the filter?
Yes, there are no stock fuel lines left. I replaced the fuel pump and now I am getting too much pressure, my gauge is stating its around 90psi. Can anyone recommend a good regulator to get this down to around 60psi? Thanks.

I have an 87 wrangler that used to have a 2.5l - 4cyl. I have swapped that engine out for a chevy 5.3L , which needs around 60psi of fuel at the rail. Using the original fuel pump from the 4cyl , I found I am only getting around 40psi at the rail. Anyone have any suggestions for an upgraded fuel pump that will drop in the original tank that will push 60psi? Thanks.
no year car TOLD, the chevy 5.3l came from, nor what parts moved from chevy to jeep, sure the engine but but ...
the PCM in the 2.5l will never ever run any 5.3L engine so I deduce it has say 2007 yukon PCM or custom PCM? of some kind
the 60psi is out of the Chevy FSM book, so I Can only guess you have chevy PCM, yes?

there are 2 cures, here. run the chevy pump and its matching FPCM , electronics FPR or just the FPCM to the stock pump (eegads crazy that)
the 12vdc current profile jeep pump to FPCM will make it go mad. the FPCM uses the RAIL sensor to set pressure, a fully automatic servo system this.

the other choice is simple at summit racing dot com
a custom dial up, FPR, that you dial to 60 and pray the jeep dinky pump can hand that load. 31 to 41is normal load on jeeps.
yes the jeep tiny pump does 90PSi at the shunt test. but never proves ever the GPM needs of that huge 5.3L chev engine.

the flow rate on pumps are NOT the same ever, the 4 banger pump is small, low GPM rating. ok?
you have many posts on one topic, why not stick to one post and add to it saving confusion.? thanks for playing !
some 87 had cam shaft drive pumps fuel, others tank, I assume your tank has a pump, does it? what kind is it.
the 87 had intake pump upgrade kits then, still sold, rockauto. 28gpm, not one does 60psi. (makers stated)

if the pump is rated for 5.3L (brake HP)
then here is the reg
here it is , manual class reg.

or this

the pump must be EFI rated MPI
and can handle 60psi full time
and can do, GPM flows rate your 5.3L demands
and then a FPR (manual dial up type) set to 60, and make sure it really does it at WOT, up HILL .(full load on engine is the acid test for EFI)