Rear right signal light and brake light are not working

mathewaz

Hey guys, I'm having a strange issue with my 91 yj.

The rear passenger signal light and brake light do not work. Every other light does work. I've gone through fuses and relays and they all look good. I've changed the bulbs, and washed the 3 bolt grounds in the assembly.

I'm not getting power at the socket when I brake.

The rear right signal light works when I connect the red and brown wire to it further down the harness and close to the plug. But only the signal light. So I'm not sure if that means there's a brake in the wire somewhere or something.

I'm not sure how to proceed with this.
If anyone has advice or suggestions id appreciate it!

Look in the YJ Resources forum. I did a white paper on troubleshooting your turn/brake circuits. It's on the first page of the forum towards the bottom, and should be helpful. If you trace the circuit, there's a place in the turn signal switch where the stop and turn control circuits merge to feed the right rear light. That's the first spot that could fail which would cause both to not work. From there it's just wires, connectors, bulbs and grounds. If your downstream wiring is good, and the left side is working fine, the only thing left is the turn signal switch.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for the reply, I went though the trouble shooting page and actually just changed the turn signal switch today and was disappointed to find that It did not solve my problem. So im kind of at a loss right now. But ill go through that troubleshooing page once more to see what else I could try, thanks!

I'd start with the connector just forward of the driver's door which feeds loom to the rear lights. Disconnect that connector, turn on the blinker and check the Brown/Red wire on the upstream side for power with a test light. If that's working, apply power to the downstream side of the connector and see if the lights come on. It has to be one or the other. If there's no power at the upstream side of the connector, find the same wire at the turn signal connector and check it there. If the problem is downstream, start tracing the loom back along the left side of the rig. Did someone hack into it for a trailer connector and something's come loose? Possible they dropped the fuel tank and pinched the wire when they put it back in. Gotta be there somewhere...

Look in the YJ Resources forum. I did a white paper on troubleshooting your turn/brake circuits. It's on the first page of the forum towards the bottom, and should be helpful. If you trace the circuit, there's a place in the turn signal switch where the stop and turn control circuits merge to feed the right rear light. That's the first spot that could fail which would cause both to not work. From there it's just wires, connectors, bulbs and grounds. If your downstream wiring is good, and the left side is working fine, the only thing left is the turn signal switch.
Look in the YJ Resources forum. I did a white paper on troubleshooting your turn/brake circuits. It's on the first page of the forum towards the bottom, and should be helpful. If you trace the circuit, there's a place in the turn signal switch where the stop and turn control circuits merge to feed the right rear light. That's the first spot that could fail which would cause both to not work. From there it's just wires, connectors, bulbs and grounds. If your downstream wiring is good, and the left side is working fine, the only thing left
I'd start with the connector just forward of the driver's door which feeds loom to the rear lights. Disconnect that connector, turn on the blinker and check the Brown/Red wire on the upstream side for power with a test light. If that's working, apply power to the downstream side of the connector and see if the lights come on. It has to be one or the other. If there's no power at the upstream side of the connector, find the same wire at the turn signal connector and check it there. If the problem is downstream, start tracing the loom back along the left side of the rig. Did someone hack into it for a trailer connector and something's come loose? Possible they dropped the fuel tank and pinched the wire when they put it back in. Gotta be there somewhere...

had a similar problem, no brake light on left side, and really weak on the right. I used the white paper that Walt mentioned earlier, it is great BTW. I had a bad ground. I actually ended up just building a jumper from the cleanest mounting screw, and ran it down to the plug behind and butt spliced it into the grounding wire there. works like new. good luck, wiring problems are a beast