Rear bumper recommendations

Splashlog

I'm looking for your recommendations of a rear bumper. I have a Tuffstuff bumper on the front, and I want a rear bumper that won't clash with it, but has a tire carrier. D ring shackles and reverse lights would be great too if possible. the red yj is the same front bumper. Has anyone ever heard of u-Box Different Trail Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier & Receiver Hitch & LED Lights for 1987-2006 Jeep TJ YJ Wrangler? (Yellow)

1586895591983.png
1586895777200.png

I have the Rock Hard 4x4 rear tire carrier bumper on my TJ and highly recommend it.

It is very heavy duty, and doesn't rattle or sway. It has recovery points, tow-rated receiver hitch, carries a 38 inch spare tire, and comes with mounts for a hi-lift jack and CB accessories. I frequently use the optional cargo rack and gas can holders.

They are made in Nebraska.

The system is designed to be very adjustable. The tire carrier is both height and depth adjustable by a significant margin, so you can have your tire as high or low and as far in or out as you want. The bumper itself can be mounted an inch higher than factory to hide a body lift or fir extra clearance. Even the cargo rack and can mounts are height adjustable to a degree, and the cargo rack is depth adjustable to a degree.

The biggest downside to it is that it is quite heavy. If you're highly weight conscious, a body mounted tire carrier will save weight versus a spare tire bumper.

For the most part, YJ and TJ bumpers are often interchangeable. So if you find a good bumper for sale for the TJ, it may also fit the YJ.

No matter what bumper or carrier you get, you must get and use frame brace brackets, which are offered by just about every bumper manufacturer. On the YJ (and TJ), the rear crossmember is prone to bending and even tearing off the frame rails. The braces take the load off the crossmembers and put it straight to the 1/8" thick frame rails. The last thing you need is to have a bumper fall off while bouncing around or get ripped off the frame while being winched out.

Last edited:
I'm looking for your recommendations of a rear bumper. I have a Tuffstuff bumper on the front, and I want a rear bumper that won't clash with it, but has a tire carrier. D ring shackles and reverse lights would be great too if possible. the red yj is the same front bumper. Has anyone ever heard of u-Box Different Trail Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier & Receiver Hitch & LED Lights for 1987-2006 Jeep TJ YJ Wrangler? (Yellow)
A lot of folks over on the TJ forum rave about DirtWorx bumpers. Made here in the USA and built by a small shop.
I doubt you could easily find a buyer who would complain about their Dirt Worx bumpers.
B61FC06C-964E-4891-A7D1-E04CC7AD483B.jpeg

He doesnt list it on his website, but I bet if you were to contact him about it, he would have no issue with leaving you an open space in the bumper for some Baja Designs backup lights.
They sit flush and put out a ton of light. Quality stuff.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S2-Pro-Pair-LED-Wide-Cornering-Flush-Backup-Kit.asp
48AD0875-5B4E-4F9C-8C62-DC875B46A95B.jpeg

Reactions: Steel City 06