Re-seal seams under windshield

tex.ag

Howdy. This is my first post.

I am a new '94 YJ owner and am having leaks. Through some troubleshooting, I think they are coming from the seam under the windshield where it meets the hood and just below on the side. I have posted a pic with red arrow.

I was thinking of using seam sealer caulk to fix it, but wanted to see if anyone here has had any success with that or any other method.

Thanks.

Attachments

• jeep.png
    jeep.png
    633.1 KB · Views: 60
Welcome,

First....almost every Jeep collects water on the floor boards do to age, but there are several things you can do the minimize it to "ALMOST" no water entering.

1) The area you're showing is the cowl panel and that is one place for leaks as the factory seam seal will cracked and become brittle over the years. Use a pick type of tool or flat screw driver and drag along that groove to remove any loose seam seal if there is any. You don't need to carve it out with tons of pressure, you just want to scratch away any loose stuff if there is any..and there may not be too. If you want a neat and clean job, use 1-1/2 to 2" painters masking tape, lay it just off where the 2 panels meet on both sides of the seam your about to seal. Lay a thin bead of seam sealer, then dip your finger in thinner and press and pull your finger along the area. After that, remove the tape from the upper and lower areas and again using thinner, lightly drag your finger back along the sealer. That'll feather out the sealer keeping it clean looking.

2) You might need to replace the front windshield cowl seal where it folds. Notorious for those seals to deteriorate, allowing water to run behind the seal, under the windshield frame and then along the inside of the firewall too.

1987-1995 Jeep YJ Wrangler Windshield Frame Cowl ...

3) There's also a cowl fresh air vent seal (most don't know about). You'll need to unscrew the air vent panel on top of the cowl. Those screws also hold onto the black fresh air duct that feeds fresh air into the Jeep. You'll see that black intake will move around little bit. There's a 1/4 foam rubber gasket with adhesive on one side that gets stuck to the top edge of that black intake, then when you screw the vent plate back on it will pull the box and rubber seal up and seal it under the cowl.
1719117212820.png
Omix Gasket Air Vent- 84-95 Jeep CJ/Wrangler YJ, 19707.06
Omix Gasket Air Vent- 84-95 Jeep CJ/Wrangler YJ, 19707.06

Omix Gasket Air Vent- 84-95 Jeep CJ/Wrangler YJ, 19707.0
$8.99

4) and last....there's also a drain tube (appox 1-1/4" diameter x 10" long) that you'll see fastened to the firewall from the engine side. That tube is a drain tube. It's secured to the same black fresh air duct that I mentioned in #3. Self explained, but on days of rain, water will fill into that fresh air intake and it needs to be removed..or water will back fill that fresh air intake and leak over into the side of the upper vents of the HVAC. That tube will get clogged of leaves and crud over the years. Do yourself a favor regardless and remove that tube and cut off about 1" from the lower portion and re-install. From the factory, that tube was compressed at the lower end where water is discharged, making it easier to be clogged.

Hope this helps..Sorry if this is a lot.

Attachments

• 1719116437286.png
    1719116437286.png
    570 bytes · Views: 40
  • 1719117212863.png
    1719117212863.png
    264 bytes · Views: 42
Another place for water entry if you have a hard top will be along what would be the "A" pillar on car/trucks. Since jeeps have a fold down front windshield there's no pillar, but it's the side of the windshield frame. Water will run off the roof, along the drip rails and work it's way thru the top corner where the door meets the roof and windshield frame. That can be corrected with all new weather seal on the doors. There's also a palm size curved weather seal that fits into the top corner of the hard top. Over years, those can fall off and go missing creating a huge void, perfect for water.

All of the fore mentioned stuff are common water voids on these YJ's.

And believe it or not.. I've even seen water enter thru the outer windshield hinge bolts. Those bolts can get loose or stripped over years of people monkeying around with the windshield and they won't seat thus once again allowing water to enter.