Possible 88 Laredo Purchase

Thuddles

Hey guys, been a TJ owner for 13 years, saw a YJ that caught my eye gonna go check it out tomorrow. Possibly might end up being the wifey's jeep

Any thing i should be weary of?

Noticed this is a 4.2 rather than a 4.0? this is a good motor still right?

Guy said its got a transmission leak - its a 5spd

its on 35s - makes me think it might need wheel bearings / axel rebuilt if its on dana 30/35s

they're asking 5k says "suspension issues" but supposedly new shocks.

all opinions welcome.

I don't have any experience with the 4.2. It is a carbureted motor vs the fuel injected 4.0.

I would ask more details about the "suspension issues" and I would ask about the lift that was done to fit the 35s. I would be worried if the lift was done right.

Then the normal used vehicle checks. The biggest thing would be to inspect the frame for rust. Take a screw driver with you and poke around and thing that looks questionable.

And of course have you and the wife both test drive the Jeep as much as you can to get a feel for it. I don't know if either of you have driven a full leaf sprung vehicle, but people either love it or they hate it.

I believe that it will, or had the Peugeot BA series trans. Know as very weak and only used for a short time due to its lack of longevity. A leak? maybe the rear main instead or could be seals only?? the 4.2 is the long used 258 jeep engine. Good engine but the carbs and emissions systems can be pretty problematic. Suspension issues? Like what? you need to get specific details on that can of worms. My take on this cause you asked. Either a D35 or AMC 20 will not be happy with 35's. Stock gears still running 35's? good luck with that combo. How much lift to clear them 35's, 6" lift? I assume he installed a SYE kit? The BA Trans...ask how many times its been rebuilt and then plan on junking it sooner than later if its still in it. I see two scenarios here. #1 its heavily modded,gearing,lift, drive line upgrades,better trans and lots of $$ invested to accommodate the mods and your not providing those details. #2 its a mall crawler deathtrap that needs much to be a safe vehicle or trail worthy rig that dosent self destruct if used for in the dirt. Not to be snarky but is your wife savvy to what this thing, or any Jeep with similar mods will ride and handle like,just asking.

Reactions: Thuddles
I have driven leaf spring vehicles, but this would be a learning vehicle for her, mild trails mostly around town with the top down. But this person is being kinda sketchy and won't send me any pics of the vin even. its about an hour away so i think i'm gonna pass. either way I think i'm gonna stick with the 4.0 motor after everything you guys are saying. Thanks for the help, maybe some day down the road I will be a YJ owner as well!

The 4.2/258 is a good engine although getting a little long in the tooth by now. The 4.0's are excellent engines save the 0331 head issue on later ones. You'd be right to keep on looking if it sounds sketchy. Awful lot of scams and less then honest sellers about these days.

If you do find the right Jeep for your wife, the short, 93.4" wheelbase will probably be the learning curve.
Which is a big improvement over the OLD 80" Jeeps.
Ride quality may be an issue, too, but that can be improved to some degree.
Good luck on your hunt!

I'd be concerned "suspension issues" means "I did a half assed lift and it's awful now".