MY 1995 YJ Chevy 5.3 Swap

CLBeam

Supporting Member
Hello all,
I have just started my conversion on my 1995 Jeep wrangler yj 2.5L, 5 speed manual. I purchased it new after 20 years in the military and now 27 years later and 317,000 miles, it needs a little loving care.
My plans are to use a 2009 chevy donor vehicle i have secured with low miles. I do plan to use everything possible from the donor truck. In saying that I have stripped everything under the hood and removed the entire dash. Nothing left but the steering column. I have excellent fabrication experience and will completely re-work the dash and heating & air. Never liked having one set of controls for heat and another for cooling. Will incorporate the chevy gage panel to the new Aluminum dash. Complete with heat and air dash vents and defroster.
As for wiring I am changing everything over to the chevy harness, fuse boxes. relay boxes, computer (ECU). Program out the anti-thief and adjust 411 gearing and tire size. Much easier to just adjust lengths of wires and change a few connectors on lights, radio, etc. Don't like using emulators for tachometer or speedometer. I may even change steering column, you never know.
As far as the drive train I have a new aluminum radiator with electric fan and motor mounts from Novak along with the adapture for my transfer case to the Automatic transmission. Also have acquired Shifter and floor panel cover too.
I am not building a mud slinger, as I still run reguler tires. I just use my jeep for normal transportation and a little deer hunting. I plan to add pictures and updates as I go. Not in a hurry, just want to do it right the first time.

This pic just shows the engine, transmission and TC out. I have since stripped all wiring and AC. Getting ready to remove front grill and fenders and cut and weld motor mounts, then paint.

Motor Out.jpg

Its going to be an adventure just like riding the jeep with the tops all removed.!! More to come.

Having a 00 5.3 Silverado and friends newer 5.3's in their trucks, allow me to suggest you remove the AFM system or get a delete box or whatever they are. Google 5.3 AFM failure/ lifter failure ect and you can learn all about the possible issues they have if your not aware of them. Although IIRC AFM didnt come out until 07, Id also suggest replacing the oil pump pick up tube O ring for preventative measures. I replaced the O ring on my 00 4x4 which requires dropping the front diff and the pan to get at. Might be a Buzzard on your transplant. There is also a 2 bolt retainer flange that can be had from places like Jegs to keep the pick up tube and O ring in better shape. I did not use that on my 00 but it looks like a possible good improvement on the setup.

A little update, motor mounts have been sawed out with saws all. see picture. Have sense been ground down smooth for welding in new mounts. 5.3 engine is out and at my engine builder for a refresh, new cam, etc. Transmission is at builder to replace tail shaft for adapting my np-231J. Computer has been programmed and due in this Friday. All going well.

motor mounts out.jpg
5.3 motor and 4L60E Trans.jpg