Leaky Jeepy

kjmagsig

I put a box of brake parts for my wife's van on the floor of my 94 YJ yesterday afternoon just before it started to rain. Went out this morning to discover a very wet box of brake parts. Water was dripping in from under the dash board. Where should I begin to look for this leak? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

TIA!

Sounds like the heater box, there is a drain for the cowl vent on the firewall, but that's no guarantee it won't leak.
But it could be leaking from anywhere, It is a Jeep after all,
I know the windshield to cowl seal on mine is shot, but just running a bikini it hardly matters.
Mine is of the hose it out variety...
When it rains here, it's just bath day!

Last edited:
Reactions: SirDoopYJ
Yeppers..its a jeep. Pull the grate behind the hood and see if its full of leaves and crap. The drain from it needs to be cleared also. Windshield cowl seal...rust prone at the base and possibly leaky. The cowl seals area joke IMO and act like a scoop to pool water in under the frame and into the inner dash area. My fix after trying a Mopar one and a Omix special is a roll of black gorilla tape. Works great even during AZ's monsoon season. With winter coming on a dark night or dark garage you can take a really bright spot light and put it under the jeeps oil pan slightly one either side. Pop it on and look in the cab for pin holes,cracks etc on the firewall and floor boards. That will give you an idea of where to seal up so when you drive you wont have 65mph water injection on your feet.

From what I'm hearing here, I'm thinking it's probably my windshield cowl. The frame is pretty rusty, so I'm sure that seal is shot. I'll check the drain pipe under the vend grate behind the hood too and shine the light up at the firewall. All great suggestions. It doesn't leak bad, but here in Wisconsin we do tend to get a good bit of rain, so I'd like to stop it if I can. Ah but this has to wait. I'm giving my wife's Town and Country a break job and so far it's been a real hassle. The store keeps giving me the wrong parts, then after wasting another day fiddling, figuring out why they don't fit, then getting the right parts, something else ends up needing to be replace. Again, wrong parts given... another day killed. I'm hopeful tomorrow will be the day because there is another rain forecast for Thursday and Friday. I can only work on it after my regular job in the afternoon and I don't have a garage big enough to do it, so I'm outside in the Wisconsin cold, don't want to add rain to that mix. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy old guy who want's to stay comfortable now? Could be. Thanks again for all your suggestions. I've got more weird questions to ask, but I'll post them in another thread.

Reactions: jeepjoe43
Welcome to the Grumpy old guy club!
I feel your pain!
Never thought I would be one of the Grumpy old farts, but here i am...
Thank God my weather is better than your's.
No insult intended.

No insult taken jeepjoe43. I spent a week in Arizona last spring (that's where you are, right?) Absolutely LOVED it. Would move there in a heart beat if I could find work that paid enough. I'm getting real tired of these Northern winters. Spent my first 40 years in Michigan's snowbelt, then moved to Southern Wisconsin where we don't get as much snow, but it gets wicked cold. Cold enough that 3 door handles broke on a loaner car I had borrowed. It was a rough winter, entering the car through the passenger side back door, reaching way over to open the driver's door from the inside. But, I keep telling myself, I don't have to shovel cold, so it's all good...

Just one more thing to grump about. But, if I didn't have something to grump about, my life wouldn't be complete.

Oh man, don't even get me started on plumbing.... Every time I attempt one of those, there is a cascading avalanche of problems. A simple bathroom faucet replacement turned into a week long hunt for the right size drain pipe that disabled my upstairs bathroom. Another "simple" faucet replacement in the kitchen turned into water shut-off valves that wouldn't shut off, but sprayed a jet of water that soaked everything in sight... (fortunately I had a tree guy who was also a plumber doing some work in my yard at the time who saved me from a flooded kitchen.) It's almost comical how a "simple fix" can turn into a week long test of patience and a major drain on the bank account.

Good luck under the sink. Stay dry and don't swing that wrench at anything you don't want to replace. My latest kitchen faucet actually included stress release in the installation instructions.

I started having nightmares about swapping out the water heater. Worst part for me is its a 120 mile round trip to a hardware store and back. My shop is starting to be better stocked than the nearest Ace hardware. :rolleyes: