I'm pretty sure I screwed up!

OldJoe28

'87 YJ, 4.2, auto my new ,( And I'm pretty sure LAST Jeep project), code named ," Road Warrior Jeep"!
This is how it started....
Turn signal , high beam cluster bulbs not working, and plug screwed up fixed that, last weekend.
No instrument cluster bulbs working, gas gauge," twitchy ", yanked that panel off, cleaned connections, new bulbs,smeared Dialectic grease on connections yesterday.
Woke today to cold damp rainy day, just the kinda day to reinstall cluster,( outside in the rain, no room in shop)!
" Aaaaaa, I'll be warm, has a hard top, be a 25 minute job"!
Gathered tools,( fill my tobacco pipe), dashed to Jeep, as rain turned to sleet and freezing rain.
Looked inside dash, " Shoot, there is the ECU, that's coming out", ( P.O. has a reman, no feedback Carter carb bolted on engine, 1/2 the sensors and hoses off).
Might as well unplug that P.O.S. whilst I' m here.
Cursed, pissed n moaned getting glove box out,( not as flexible as I was 30 years ago)!
Got the ECU plug out, reinstalled cluster,( as well as new shift indicator on column and that bulb).
Gathered tools dashed away happy!
Was putting tools away when it hit me......
"JUMP UP JESUS WITH A STICK", ( My Irish mother's FAVORATE saying), " Is the ECU hooked up to ignition box? I bet my last dollar Jeep won't start now"!!
I didn't try to start it, was cold and stiff, rather puther in WARM shop.
I had planned for a rebuilt motor, HEI set up, Webber carb, but, that was much later!!
Question of the day;
Will it start, or did I open yet another can o' worms?
I'm not plugging the ECU back in, too much BS to get to it!!
Thought? Comments? Jokes?
Tanks
Joe
If only I Think, before, I leap!!!!

Here's some reading for you. http://gleebledorf.com/
I used it on getting the CEC system on the Eagle functioning (semi) correctly. Still needs an O2 sensor, but it runs way better now.
It should show some wiring concerning how it is tied in. Pretty sure it requires what is called the 'nutter bypass' https://garagegrabber.com/jeeps/jeep-yj-nutter-bypass/ to work without, but I've never done that. I just did a deep dive and got the little metering rods and stepper motor freed up in the carb so it would run decently.

I worked on these systems when they were," State of the Art".
We could never get them to run fair,( could have been cuz we didn't REALLY grasp the concept).
I'm trying to get this jeep," Ol School", HEI added, cuz the spark is so much better.
No feed back and sensors.
I unplugged the ECU cuz, it draws voltage, ( my '89 YJ the ECU shorted out and took out the fuse able link, even though all the sensors were unplugged).
No rain today, nor strong winds, so I' m gonna turn the key and see what happens.
Joe

Did some research on my 40 year old notes, when I was a Chrysler/ Jeep tech, found out ECU ONLY controls fuel side of engine, ignition module a separate system!!
Had to drop in some fuel, as tank was empty, fire Jeep up.... No issues!😁
So, that answers that question!
Sorry to, " FREAK", but thought for sure it controlled spark advance.
Joe

Reactions: ytradio