Ignition key stuck

cyberlines

Supporting Member
Hi all, I'm Tom,
I have a 1991 Wrangler yj That sat for three years due to a medical problem. I have it up and running and drivable however, I can no longer remove the ignition key. I can turn the key all the way to start the Jeep but when turning the key back it stops before it turns enough to get the key out even with the lever pushed down that is supposed to let it turn to where it lets the key be removed.
Has anyone else had this problem and knows what is causing it?

yes the 95 here is finicky, a 3way problem of wiggle key, wiggle steering wheel and that lever on the side wiggled.
nobody loves this. (or is failing) (special steering hub puller needed if yes)
and problem front tires hard against the curb or a rock, I cant see the tires.
ever park in San Fransisco? , I did in 1970 driving military truck with first locking steering!, never forgot that day. (the rule is set park brake first. then shift to 1st gear then lock steering last, or bad can happen/.
hills so steep one must walk backwards,.

it is a locking steering failure of some kind. (and we all know it is problematic) ISSUE-MATIC, (eeeks)

5 speed stick right??????????????
front wheels off the ground, steering is fully free? left right, no binding,
tie rods, ball joints all good. and greased?
the steering shaft on mine day1, (horror 1 of 50) the power steering pipe was jammed against the steering shaft, do not let all those thing seen there touch this shaft ever. tie it all back.
this answer is for steering binding up hard.

I managed to get the key out yesterday, I jiggled the key as I had before, turned the key and steering wheel back and forth as I had done before, and still it would not come out. Then when I ran the tilt wheel up and down gently, I was unexpectedly able to remove the key. I think I will replace the key lock cylinder. Thank you to those of you who answered my post.

The reason I was gentle with the tilt wheel is because on the 85 Ford Bronco if you were to let the tilt wheel slam there is a part in the steering column that can break.

5 speed stick right??????????????

all I have are questions as ME, mr. blind on the web
do you run a key ring with like 20 keys or other heavy objects there that will quickly wreck any key tumbler . total wreck.
I run just 2 keys 1 ign and 1 door.
and have spares, got spares yet?, cut from good master?
keys wear out. it's only brass in many cases and they do wear out easy. I have one that looks 100years old all brass'y and weak.(intermittent)
cut all new keys from a master ,not a used key.
the problem is pure mechanical. so start with the most simple part of all the key.? a 50 cent part.
some of these parts are 32 years old
most cars that old are not even on the road now, (well I seen none here, Unless it's me)
old cars fail.
the steering locks on old cars were slotted, in such a way that only some angles of the 360 degrees allowed the wheel to lock once dogged in.
so of there is tension on the dogs , they key will not unlock or lock.
like this thing (on the shaft)
yj it is, see those lock dog slots. if they bind up the key will not turn. ( the reason is they do not allow running the IGN with steering locked)
so make sure this is free first, using the unlock lever and wiggle this to make it clear the slot. if not it will never work.
one can feel if it works,easy , sure can. SEE how to peel the onion HERE.
even the main snap ring can be bad or mission or loose. making it all mess up.

lock.jpg

all.JPG

Last edited: