I am new too! 95 Jurassic soon to be brought back to Sahara.

BCNYOU

Hi, I have a 95 Sahara I just bought but the Red on the Jeep is very worn and poorly done so my plan is to remove the paint with graffiti remover etc , fix up a few rust spots, install a new stereo, fix the Cad issue preventing 4wd and a pile of other things as well. So far I ordered a new Stereo that arrives next week and with that and a rockville sub from my last jeep I plan on opening up the speaker holes from the 4 inch in the sound bar to 6.5 and throwing in some cerwin vegas 6.5 hed into the holes I have rotting away new in the box in my garage. I am also purchasing the hed 4x6 for the dash and the head unit i ordered was a Alpine 73 bt so, ya, sound first then find out why it random stalls and fix the Cad system ettc next. I bought some tires and rims to replace the red ones in the picture, the Red rims/tires are 23 75 15 and the replacements are 33x12.5 15 and the jeep has a 4 inch spring lift with a transfer case drop already installed. Gonna be a busy time in the old garage this summer ;)
DSCN2327.JPG

DSCN2294.JPG

Ooof that looks like a lot of rust. I cringe to think about what's under the rocker panels. I assume the frame is alright? You certainly have a project from the rust/bodywork perspective.

Ya, For BC in Canada this is a good one. The tub and frame on the 95 is Galvanized and it great shape. where the front fender was damaged it is rusted out but the other three small spots are surface and the frame had to pass a safety here a few years ago so it is solid too. Alot of the wrold is spoiled by roads that dont need to be salted from mornng til night in the winter, We in British Columbia , not so much. Anyways, I have a plasma cutter and multi purpose welder so it is not an issue. The inside has no rust, not even on the floors drivers side especially where it is very common to have a big hole after 30 or so years

Reactions: DOWNS
Ooof that looks like a lot of rust. I cringe to think about what's under the rocker panels. I assume the frame is alright? You certainly have a project from the rust/bodywork perspective.
Also, how much does your trailer weigh that is in the photo, I have the 4l ho and plan on pulling my tent trailer that is about 1100 lbs. It might be pretty gutless with the automatic. My Tacoma could pull it down the highway upside down passing everything on the road just sayin. It is a 4l too but a v6.

That's an M416. They're 670 lbs empty. Max weight 1170 lbs off road 1370 on pavement. In the photo it's empty. I just wanted to see how well it pulled behind the YJ. I have pulled it loaded with logs but dont' have a confirmed weight for how much it weighed at the time. Wranglers are limited to a 2k max trailer weight. It's not so much the weight but the short wheelbase of the Wranglers isn't a fan of heavier trailers.

It is a 4l too but a v6.
I-6, as in Inline 6. Unless someone crammed a 4.0L Ford V6 in there.

Last edited:
That's an M416. They're 670 lbs empty. Max weight 1170 lbs off road 1370 on pavement. In the photo it's empty. I just wanted to see how well it pulled behind the YJ. I have pulled it loaded with logs but dont' have a confirmed weight for how much it weighed at the time. Wranglers are limited to a 2k max trailer weight. It's not so much the weight but the short wheelbase of the Wranglers isn't a fan of heavier trailers.

I-6, as in Inline 6. Unless someone crammed a 4.0L Ford V6 in there.
Yes, like i said I have a 4 l ( 4 litre in my jeep HO ) then, I mentioned the towing with a Tacoma which is my 2006 trd offroad it has a tow capacity of 6800 lbs and my old camper trailer was approx 6000 loaded and it pulled it at the speed limit all day. I mentioned that it is also a 4l meaning 4 litre motor( V6 ) and could tow the tent trailer upside down without even knowing it was towing.I was talking about my Tacoma which is my daily driver not the hobby jeep.

I know I have a tow capacity of 2000 lbs on the jeep, I was just wondering from your experience what it was like towing 1100 lbs or so. I plan on taking a trip this summer , mostly through the BC mountains and want to tow my tent trailer with my new jeep when I get it fixed up so was just curious of how it pulls with your trailer. I don't need to break any speed records or wouldn't expect to with the jeep.

30 years ago I did the backroads to Vancouver from here ( about 12 hours ) with my old diesel BJ40 landcruiser and thought it would be fun to do it in a jeep with the top off. The rack is already gone, sold it cas I have no use for it and the Doors and hard top will be next. I will be either putting half doors or tube doors on it and a good bikini top. Anyways, I should open and opening thread of how it looks now and as I do things. The last one I put over 3000 into plus what I paid for it, then I wrecked my leg and had a hard time driving standard without a ton of pain so sold it for like 2800 or so. If you wanted to see a rusty jeep I should look up a photo of that one lol.

And my trailer has the military style torsion suspension in it as I imagine yours does but it pulls very solid. I havnt tried towing it since I upgrded the tires to a larger size but it should be good with new rubber etc.

Yes, like i said I have a 4 l ( 4 litre in my jeep HO ) then, I mentioned the towing with a Tacoma which is my 2006 trd offroad it has a tow capacity of 6800 lbs and my old camper trailer was approx 6000 loaded and it pulled it at the speed limit all day. I mentioned that it is also a 4l meaning 4 litre motor( V6 ) and could tow the tent trailer upside down without even knowing it was towing.I was talking about my Tacoma which is my daily driver not the hobby jeep.

I know I have a tow capacity of 2000 lbs on the jeep, I was just wondering from your experience what it was like towing 1100 lbs or so. I plan on taking a trip this summer , mostly through the BC mountains and want to tow my tent trailer with my new jeep when I get it fixed up so was just curious of how it pulls with your trailer. I don't need to break any speed records or wouldn't expect to with the jeep.

30 years ago I did the backroads to Vancouver from here ( about 12 hours ) with my old diesel BJ40 landcruiser and thought it would be fun to do it in a jeep with the top off. The rack is already gone, sold it cas I have no use for it and the Doors and hard top will be next. I will be either putting half doors or tube doors on it and a good bikini top. Anyways, I should open and opening thread of how it looks now and as I do things. The last one I put over 3000 into plus what I paid for it, then I wrecked my leg and had a hard time driving standard without a ton of pain so sold it for like 2800 or so. If you wanted to see a rusty jeep I should look up a photo of that one lol.

And my trailer has the military style torsion suspension in it as I imagine yours does but it pulls very solid. I havnt tried towing it since I upgrded the tires to a larger size but it should be good with new rubber etc.
Ah gotcha, misread.

Nah the M416s have leaf springs, same as CJ leaf springs of that era.

My 2.5L struggles a bit with a full load in the trailer, but will do it. I'm sure the 4.0 would do just fine with 1100 lbs. I tow upwards of 4k with my XJ sometimes and it does fine as well. Just be aware of your shorter wheelbase when going around corners. Sometimes it feels as though the trailer wants to push you around a bit. Do you have electric or surge brakes on your trailer? Would probably go a long way to helping with that.

Ah gotcha, misread.

Nah the M416s have leaf springs, same as CJ leaf springs of that era.

My 2.5L struggles a bit with a full load in the trailer, but will do it. I'm sure the 4.0 would do just fine with 1100 lbs. I tow upwards of 4k with my XJ sometimes and it does fine as well. Just be aware of your shorter wheelbase when going around corners. Sometimes it feels as though the trailer wants to push you around a bit. Do you have electric or surge brakes on your trailer? Would probably go a long way to helping with that.
No brakes on the tent trailer as of yet but I know what you mean, I towed this jeep home in one of the worst snow storms this year behind my Tacoma on a car dolly with no brakes and no locking pin and it was pushing the truck sideways a number of times in a 150 km journey. There were 2 semis that had jack knifed that night on my way home. I have driven truck for a living for years and have a class 1 and 6 with air so all licenses here and I crawled home after the first bad corner lol...Anyways, paint off, top gone, doors gone and the new center lines (rims and tires) on there and a new stereo, fluid changes and a winch and it should be good to go. I also have a lighter trailer that has springs and a ramp on the back that is steel and 5x10 I will be using to go get some firewood when I want to take the jeep instead of the Tacoma. Not concerned about that one cas it is close to home stuff and my friends will travel a long ways to save me if needed but the long trip I want to do would be nice if it was a fun vacation instead of a trip from hell when I do it.

Reactions: DOWNS
I have to wait til the snow clears, should be gone by the 15th of april about but then I will remove all the red paint. I used some grafitti remover yesterday and did a 5 minute test and it should be done in a morning I would think... Also put on the tires which makes a huge difference, I will be grinding the rust out in the spring and if it needs replacing anywhere I will cut it out with my plasma cutter, make some small panels and replace them with my mig welder. Ill prob start a builders thread

DSCN2339.JPG

Untitled - 1 of 1 (1).jpeg

Untitled - 1 of 1.jpeg