Howell TBI conversion was flooding on startup

ryansalas

Hey all!
Did an extensive search online to find the problem with my 1988 YJ with Howell Fuel injection conversion. It was flooding on startup. The only way I could get it to start was to unplug the injectors and crank it, then plug the injectors back in once it was running. doing the pedal all the way down and cranking did not clear the flood for me. I ran a code read on it, discovered code 22 which was the tps out of adjustment. re-adjusted that, but had the same flooding issue. I then decided to reset the Code by disconnecting the battery which is when i discovered that my positive battery terminal was pretty corroded. I pulled out the battery brush and voila! No more flooding. Makes sense thinking back on it. the starter was turning slow and it was filling the top of the throttle body butterflies with fuel. it must have had a pretty weak ignition system and slow turning starter when cranking. I've searched all over online for this issue, but have only found one guy who replaced his starter and fixed an issue like this. posts dating back to 2014 have no solution. I hope this helps someone. That other guy who swapped his started must have accidentally fixed the problem when he disconnected the battery terminal and re-connected it.

cheers!

Reactions: Stoopid Jeep