How I met my Jeep

Gerard’s yj

Based in South Africa. I am crazy about USA Jeeps and Harley’s. I saw this black Jeep in 1997 at the American Embassy. The previous owner was Mr Ron Leach, US diplomate in SA. I made contact and asked if I could purchase the Jeep when he returns to the states. Just before he left I managed to buy it from him,including hard and soft top with doors plus 2 years spare parts of oil filters and plugs. This was 23 years ago. The Jeep served me well almost half a million km’s on open no hazzle. That is more than 300 000 happy miles. I like more info on this vehicle. It is a inline 6 4L high output motor manual transmission. I did a 2 and a half inch lift from black diamond and now on my 5th set of 31 10.5 by 15 bf Good Ridge Tyres. Will do some minor maintenance eg respect bonnet. Very reliable 6 km/l fuel consumption. This must be one of the last yj’s manufactured. I will run down the road with the steering wheel but not sell it. This Jeep became part of me. Great to join this Forum from the south point of Africa.

Wow, that's quite a story! Glad to see there are some of these things in South Africa. Are American vehicles highly sought after or popular down there?

Wow, that's quite a story! Glad to see there are some of these things in South Africa. Are American vehicles highly sought after or popular down there?
Popular and sought after but not allowed to import because of steering position (left). Where can I enquire more about this YJ? Is this the Shahara model? Can forward more pics to assist. Nice forum. Thank you for being part of this group.

Reactions: Chris
Popular and sought after but not allowed to import because of steering position (left). Where can I enquire more about this YJ? Is this the Shahara model? Can forward more pics to assist. Nice forum. Thank you for being part of this group.

Interesting about the steering position. Here we can import vehicles with either left or righthand drive.

Yes, you can post photos, that would help a lot (y)