How can I check to see if my leaf springs are still good?

Rfreter

Hi Jeepers,
Just bought my 1st jeep.1994 yj. Needing to lift it up a pinch because the 31 wranglers rub up front. Thinking a shackle lift may be best to try n keep the drivetrain from needing adjustments.
My question is , before i get started how can i check that the stock springs are still good. Is thete a spec on the height difference from the eyrs to the center?
Mine almost look straight.
Any help appreciated.

Hi Jeepers,
Just bought my 1st jeep.1994 yj. Needing to lift it up a pinch because the 31 wranglers rub up front. Thinking a shackle lift may be best to try n keep the drivetrain from needing adjustments.
My question is , before i get started how can i check that the stock springs are still good. Is thete a spec on the height difference from the eyrs to the center?
Mine almost look straight.
Any help appreciated.
They sound like factory springs. Some 2.5 inch leafs may work out for you.

Thanks worried a 2-1/2 lift will start the ball rolling. Drop tranny support, drive shaft angle. All those "issues " that pop up after up start lifting.
Sounds like you only have two options.

Make the bump stops limit the springs uptravel before the tires make unwanted contact.

Buy smaller tires.

Reactions: Rfreter
As a YJer on a budget, I bought an Add-a-Leaf kit. I suspected my springs were pretty sacked and paid the same for the kit as I’d pay for one leaf spring. Anybody have any experience with these things? Just remember not all of us can afford Old Man Emu.

As a YJer on a budget, I bought an Add-a-Leaf kit. I suspected my springs were pretty sacked and paid the same for the kit as I’d pay for one leaf spring. Anybody have any experience with these things? Just remember not all of us can afford Old Man Emu.
I personally wouldn't run an add a leaf to fix a sacked spring. I know money doesn't grow on trees, but I would replace a bad spring with a good spring.

Are factory spec springs out of budget?

Last edited:
Reactions: ShawnM
Yeah the ad said “adds life to those tired old springs” and I kinda got sucked in. The shipping cost more than the leafs did so I’m not going to return them. Even stock springs are really expensive in Canada due to shipping, but I’m spending so much time waiting for other parts anyway, I’m holding off installing the add a leafs in case something comes up I can afford. Then maybe put an ad in the local classifieds, “Add life to those tired old springs!”

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Well. Oh Fouled One, another thing about shipping and living in Canada is waiting for stuff. Just got more bad news on top of the bumpers, carpet and everything else I’m waiting for: paint. It’s even a week out. But time is money and in time I will have more of it so I said screw it, don’t have to buy all 4 springs at once. Found a Canadian company on Amazon with 6-leaf Rubicons with 1 1/2” lift for $139 free shipping. Only 2 left so I pulled the trigger.
I don’t know much about this kinda stuff so l try and pay attention when others might. I got picturing in my head this thick strong metal of the add a spring under the weak fatigued sacked out old spring that’s almost curved backwards. That add a spring is half the length of the old and I can just see it snapping the old ones clean off if I ever hit a bump hard.
So thanks for the gentle nudge getting my brain going. They’re probably not the worst idea in the world but in the wrong application they might be dangerous

My little monsters springs were shot when I got it, was easy to tell.
The axles were only 1/2" from the bumps stops and the lower radiator hose was rubbing on the front diff.
She apparently took a lot of abuse on a tow bar behind a coach as it only had 114000 miles it.
Did go 2-1/2" lift, and had to fix all the issues that followed that. Still climbing out if that rabbit hole.