Hard steering

kjmagsig

The steering on my 94 Wrangler doesn't feel right. It almost feels as though the power steering isn't working, but it isn't constant. When I turn the wheel it is hard to turn, then it gets easy, then hard again (like the power steering is working intermittently.) There are no noises coming from the pump or steering box, it's full of fluid and there are no bubbles in it, like there may be air in the lines. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this? If it were constant I would think the steering pump might be failing, or something wrong with the steering box (I am not sure I have my terms right for these, I'm a photographer, not a mechanic...)

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it have a body lift?
The telescoping steering shaft is sometimes frozen when a body lift is installed.
I experienced this with mine when I did my body lift.
Knock the seal out of place, a bit of PB Blaster and then a knock with a hammer after it's had time to soak in.

Yes it does have a lift, but is it a body lift? It's where the springs attach to the frame (unless I misunderstand what this is.) Sorry, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. And then, where is this seal?

From your description you have a suspension lift, not a body lift. First off let me say if you are not competent in repairs or diagnosis of these things take it to a shop to have them have a look. Simply put a failed steering system or part(s) could be a life changing disaster for you and any passengers.
That being said it could be something as simple as a damaged steering stabilizer if there is one on your rig. Old, no fluid,rusted shaft, bent, something like that. Bad/failed ball joint(s) something of that nature. If you are full of fluid and no whining is taking place when you turn the wheel then Id leas toward something not in the power steering system.

You can tell if it has a body lift by looking at it from the rear for a "butt crack" between the body and rear cross member/bumper.
If it does not have a body lift, there should about a 1/4" - 1/2" gap.
If it does the gap will be a lot wider and you will be able to see a reinforcement for the cargo bed, maybe even the top of the tank.
Depending on how much it has.

The seal is on the shaft that connects to the PS box to the steering column.
That is the telescoping shaft, mine was binding up in the column because it wasn't telescoping.

You say you're a photographer, some pics would help.

Last edited:
Start simple. Spray the crap out of your steering shaft universals. I was having a steering issue a couple weeks ago and my mind jumped to all sorts of places and problems (admittedly for good reason though). Before I started down those roads I sprayed the mini U joints well and my problem went away.

From your description you have a suspension lift, not a body lift. First off let me say if you are not competent in repairs or diagnosis of these things take it to a shop to have them have a look. Simply put a failed steering system or part(s) could be a life changing disaster for you and any passengers.
That being said it could be something as simple as a damaged steering stabilizer if there is one on your rig. Old, no fluid,rusted shaft, bent, something like that. Bad/failed ball joint(s) something of that nature. If you are full of fluid and no whining is taking place when you turn the wheel then Id leas toward something not in the power steering system.
^^^^^This^^^^^ In spades......If any lifts are involved the geometry of the steering has been altered and will give you those
"Hang Ups" You are feeling...In my experiences I have never seen a power steering system have spots like that. They either work or
they don't. And you have described a non-leaking intact unit. If you go under the front end look for shiny rub marks along the drag
link including the middle of the long rods....Get it towed to a 4-Wheel specialty shop and they'll get you "Planed" Out............

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking it's something that needs to be sprayed, as Cas suggested. I finally have it registered and on the road. It seems to have gotten a little better, but is still noticeable. That makes me think that something needs to be lubed up.

Gilaguy, I appreciate your cautions. While I'm a photographer, not a mechanic by trade and training, I am pretty good with mechanical stuff, though I don't know a lot of the technical terms. I do know when I'm reaching the limits of my abilities though, and can normally tell when it's time to call in the pros. An extra work of caution from someone else is always a good thing though. Helps to keep me in check.

Thank you all again. I really appreciate the knowledge and willingness to share on this forum.