Fuel line problem?

Rebecca

My 95 yj struggles in summer heat. It starts right up in the cool morning, but if I drive around doing errands it struggles to start. After a couple stops, I have to wait 15-20min for it to cool down before it will start again. If I'm driving and it gets hot, it starts to chug like fuel isn't getting through. The check engine light comes on and goes off when it cools down. I've changed the oxygen sensor, and I think it is a vapor lock kind of problem. Any suggestions? What lines should I wrap in the engine compartment to insulate from heat? This isn't a problem during winter.

I'm not a mechanic, so I'm not sure what you mean. Only the check engine light comes on. How do I see these codes you refer to?

Code 42 advice from another post: Pull the asd relay and check for corrosion on the connectors first. then swap it with another relay. report back and take a look at the wires going to your fuel pump. Clean all the grounds. You can re ground the fuel pump to the frame if needed. When you pull the relay use a flash light and make sure there isn't any corrosion in the socket of the Power Distribution Center. The relays are all identical so just swap between the two. There is a ground strap between the back of the block and the fire wall, and another on the passenger side of the block by the dip stick. They need to be shiny clean and make sure the battery negative cable is clean and free of corrosion. I would guess its very likely a bad wire closer to the fuel tank.

welcome to the forum. I am of old school{real old} I not trying to be funny, but here goes. have the check your water level, both hoses to radiator good? what does your temp. gauge read. have you checked themostat, or the sensor at the base. a good tool to use is infrared thermometer{cheap to buy} it may not be running hot at all,possible another problem. code 52 is fuel filter, code 54 is camshaft senor in side of dist. they dont go out very often. when did you last have a tune-up? do the basic check for air, fuel, spark . it you can not keep a water level, it could be a bad water pump. i dont know if this helps, but try and keep us informed of you progress. good luck and safe driving

I appreciate all the great advice! My guages all show healthy numbers. I have had a number of things fixed on it since I bought it. We started on this issue by changing out the fuel filter. The gas when we bought it had been sitting in it for the better part of a year. I got it cheap and knew I'd be investing. Lol Since that didn't work and since it seems to be heat related and not the fuel pump, we changed the oxygen sensor. My hubby (who's also old school) is convinced it's the old vapor lock or heat on the fuel line. The fuel rail gets super hot because of the arrangement of this style engine, so we put a thermal wrap on it to see if it helps. I'll keep you posted!