Can you use plastic push rivets for front fender flares?

802Steve

1988 4,2 4:88 33's 4 inch body lift
Supporting Member
I was just wondering. I know you can us plastic push rivets to join the front flares to the flare extensions, but I was wondering if anyone has ever used then to mount the fender flares in general? I have found some primo used OEM front fenders and will be remounting my flares and was just wondering if using the push rivets has ever been tried or recommended. I had a bitch of a time getting to flares off with the flat nuts used on normal mounting hardware! My first thought, is that they may not join tight enough and the second is that they may loosen due to vibrations. Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't use them. The plastic will eventually fatigue and they will separate over time. They would likely last for a while though. It's unlikely they would fail immediately, but over time a noticeable gap would probably appear.

The best permanent method would be to use rivet nuts (sometimes called Nutserts). It essentially forms a threaded hole in the sheet metal that stays in place without rotating. Then you can use metal fasteners to secure the flares. Rivet nuts take a special tool and a little bit of time to install, however. They're great for permanent items that may have to be frequently disassembled. Once installed, they're pretty much foolproof.

If you have relatively unimpeded access to the backside, you can also use serrated flange nuts, which automatically prevent themselves from turning as you tighten them past a certain point.

Blind rivets (pop rivets) can also be used, but they have to be drilled out to be removed.

Reactions: 802Steve
After fighting like hell to remove OEM fender flares I wondering why plastic is even being considered in the first place?

After fighting like hell to remove OEM fender flares I wondering why plastic is even being considered in the first place?
They are not OEM fender flares they are 6 inch aftermarket ones. I was inquiring about plastic push rivets as an easier alternative for removal instead of a Sawzall on that rare occasion when I do remove them.

As for removal, I guess depending on the style and location of the nuts, like if they’re hiding behind the plastic inner fenders, I’d be all over stainless fasteners with lock washers. I’m doing a make over on my 94 right now and have 4 3/4” Overland flares. I drilled out my fenders yesterday and did a dry fit and am really happy with the stainless stuff they came with. Yah, a couple of awkward spots for the rears but looking back on using side cutters to chop out that old plastic crap, if I ever remove these things it’s gonna be a breeze.