Can you add locks to YJ half doors?

All the factory half doors I've seen have locks on them stock. Do yours not?

I can't imagine it would be hard, though they wouldn't be very effective at all with half doors.

Reactions: 89Jeepy
Lol. They would not be all that effective with half doors, especially with a soft top!
I would want them more for when I'm driving alone and have to stop at a light then to stop a thief when she parked. Right now I’m using a bungee on the passenger door, hooked to the sports bar and window frame.
Just curious if adding them was possible. Can’t seem to find a kit on any online sites

Reactions: Chris
Unfortunately I haven't seen a kit :( A Google search didn't bring up much luck either.

I get what you're saying though.

Reactions: 89Jeepy
All the factory half doors I've seen have locks on them stock. Do yours not?

I can't imagine it would be hard, though they wouldn't be very effective at all with half doors.
1988 and apparently 1989 YJ's (according to this post) half doors did not come with locks on them from the factory.
0187BD77-833D-4E35-94AB-96042B143B0B.jpeg
5CB06D74-C9A2-479B-8D55-0709EEC1FC78.jpeg
A7006DD3-486A-4DE7-A7AF-35C50E582F1D.jpeg

thank you for your time.
I know it’s not going to be the popular opinion, but you could sell your 88/89 half doors and buy any other model year (90-95) half doors, which would give you locks.

You could also buy all the parts from a 90-96 half door that enable locking and put them in your 88/89 door. You would need to drill a hole for the lock cylinder. And install the locking door switch/handle, which will bolt right in to your door panels.

Good to know about the 88-89 half doors.

If I was in your situation, I would sell your doors and get ones from a later model. That would be the best option IMHO.

Hey, Hi! This is my first post. Was looking for a YJ forum and this one is so NEW!! It’s like still got the plastic on the back seats!!

Anyway, about your question, I’ve had my 94 soft top for around 15 years now, 1/2 doors, never had a hard top. And I never ever lock it and I never ever keep valuables in it.

If you lock it you will get thieves slicing the top/windows to get in and take your stuff. Period. Even if there’s no stuff to take. Better leaving it unlocked. That’s what I think, and that’s what I do.

I’ve had my Jeep rummaged through a few times. Once I had my lunch box stolen and went hungry that day. But once a crackhead dropped his $100 Oakley sunnies and I gave them to my brother in law.

I heard from other soft top dudes about getting their widows punched in when I first bought mine and that advice worked for me. Like the old “locks only keep honest people out” thing. If you want 100% security get a hard top

If you lock it you will get thieves slicing the top/windows to get in and take your stuff. Period. Even if there’s no stuff to take. Better leaving it unlocked. That’s what I think, and that’s what I do.
Doesnt always work, criminals are often dumb. In theory this is best practice.

Old thread, I know, but found this looking for door locks for my 88 YJ.

I understand the logic of those of you with Jeeps with soft tops/sliceable windows not understanding the need for door locks, but for those of us with Hard tops & Glass windows, locking doors would be Nice.

Found some kits from Bestop... going to check them out. They are replacement outside handles & the mechanism (latch) for like $100. Hope this helps somebody out.